12

Another two days have passed since the incident at the bank. I find myself in a cafeteria with Alex and Tom. Clara has taken Lucy to the supermarket, which leaves us a moment to talk calmly. Although I'm getting a little more adjusted to the idea of ​​having to be inside that uncomfortable kennel when Lucy is around, or having to wear that gigantic hood to get out, it's still strange. Even now, as I drink a soda through a straw, I feel the situation is ironic. Before, I would never have imagined that I would need to cover myself like this to go unnoticed.

Alex thanks me again for saving Lucy. Her words are sincere, but what comes to mind is the moment when Lucy, in all her innocence, called me a "monster." He said it without malice, but in his mind, a superhero is not someone who has sharp fangs and a dog's snout.

Tom, listening attentively, pats me on the back. "You start with something, Rex. A heart is more important than a pretty face."

We laugh a little, but the weight of what has happened is still there. Alex mentions what he talked about with Venom the other day, about how I've had to adapt to hiding emotions that I didn't feel before. Sometimes I miss the days when I could be with Lucy, playing and running around without worries. But now, it's better to have her as a protégé. Keeping her safe is my priority.

Suddenly, the conversation stops when we notice black smoke rising near the cafeteria. We all turned to the window at the same time. A nearby building is on fire. I feel like something is not right. There is an urgency that takes over me.

We rushed towards the place. The fire has already begun to consume much of the structure. As we get closer, I hear a baby crying. Instinctively, I want to run towards the building, but in that instant, Venom manifests, pulling the mask over my face and stopping me.

"Fire is one of our weaknesses," he says in a deep voice.

Tom looks at me intensely. "Do you want to prove that you're not a monster? This is your chance."

I look at the crowd that has gathered, and although Venom hesitates, I feel like we can do it. "We're going to be okay," I say firmly.

Venom nods, although with some suspicion, and we throw ourselves into the burning building. The heat is suffocating, and the dense smoke makes it difficult to breathe. Every step we take is a reminder of the threat we face. The burning on the skin is unbearable, but we keep moving forward.

Finally, I find the baby, crying in a crib. I run towards him and take him into my arms carefully. The fire rages around us, and as the building begins to collapse, I run for the exit. At the last second, we manage to get out before the structure explodes behind us.

The baby's mother runs towards us, her initially terrified expression softening as she sees her son safe and sound. "Thank you," he whispers, his voice full of gratitude. Although she is not used to seeing someone like me, her love for her son overcomes any fear she might have.

People start approaching, but I'm not ready to face a crowd. I walk away slowly, without looking back, as the voices of gratitude fade into the distance.