Aftermath

The atmosphere during dinner at Shiva's house was thick with unspoken thoughts. Aadhi stole glances at his brother, who seemed utterly engrossed in his food, the tension palpable in the air. Padma Aunty, sensing the odd silence, decided to break it with a question that hung heavy with implications.

"By the way, son, I hope you had a wonderful birthday."

Shiva looked up at his mother, his expression a mix of surprise and appreciation. "Yes, Amma, it was good."

With a mischievous glint in her eye, Padma pressed on, "How is your girlfriend?"

Shiva nearly choked on his food, his eyes bulging in disbelief. "Which girlfriend, Amma?" he spluttered, incredulity written all over his face.

"Shivada," Padma replied casually, her smile widening. "I know she's going to tell you how she feels. So, how did things go? I adore her! She would make a wonderful daughter-in-law. I've already planned to speak with her parents about marriage. Now, everything is much simpler. She genuinely likes you! So, what did you say?"

"Well, Amma..." Shiva began, searching for the right words as he felt the weight of expectations pressing down on him. "She's just a teenager, only 18. I rejected her." He paused, feeling the finality of his decision echo in the air. "Let her focus on her education and travel the world. If she still loves me after that, we can reconsider. But definitely not for another four years, Amma."

A heavy silence fell over the table as Padma processed his words. Finally, she smiled softly and said, "I'm really proud of you, my son. You have a good heart. You're right; let her study and pursue her dreams. I'm confident she will come back to you."

She then turned to Aadhi, her eyes sparkling with motherly pride. "Aadhi, look at your brother and learn a thing or two. This is how you should respect a woman."

With that, Padma finished her dinner and gracefully excused herself to her room, leaving Aadhi to quietly observe his brother. Shiva, lost in thought, stood up silently and walked away, the weight of his decision lingering in the air like a shadow, as Aadhi watched him with a mixture of admiration and concern.

Aadhi knocked softly on his brother's door and slipped inside, finding Shiva sprawled on his bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. "Shiva," Aadhi called gently, breaking the stillness.

Shiva turned his gaze toward him and sat up, a flicker of curiosity crossing his face. "What's up, Aadhi?"

Aadhi wasted no time, diving straight into the heart of the matter. "What you said at dinner—was that the truth?"

Shiva let out a humorless laugh, a sound devoid of real joy. "Wow, straight to the jugular, huh?"

"So, did you want to court her after her studies?" Aadhi pressed on. "You rejected her because she's young?"

Shiva raised an eyebrow, taken aback by the onslaught of questions. "So many inquiries in one breath! Okay, first off, Aadhi, I turned her down because I see her as my sister. I can't view her in a romantic way. Second, did you not notice how excited Mom was when she mentioned Shivada? If I tell her I'm not interested, it won't go well. And let's be honest, in four years, she'll likely find someone better than me and move on. Mom wouldn't support my marrying her best friend's daughter."

Aadhi studied his brother, his expression serious. "Is that it, Shiva? Is this the end? Do you have anything else to reveal?"

"Nothing, dude," Shiva replied, a forced chuckle escaping his lips. "This is it. I can't see her any other way. Why are you asking me all this? Got any secrets of your own?"

Aadhi hesitated for a moment, a flicker of something in his eyes before he shook his head. "No, Shiva. She's my friend, and I care about her—that's why. Okay then, sleep tight. Good night." He murmured, pulling his brother into a brief embrace.