Love in the Air

Shivada POV

Oh, great! Of all the days, why today?!

I can feel my heart pounding as my fingers nervously fiddle with the strap of my sling bag. Please, please, don't let her notice anything odd! I chant inwardly. The reason for my fidgeting? It's Aadhi's birthday, and tucked away in my bag is a special gift for him—one I can't wait to give. I had planned everything: meet him outside, hand it over in secret, make the moment perfect. But no, he's busy today, and here I am, stuck with Plan B. I just have to give him this gift today. There's no waiting.

I stare at my sling bag like it's some sort of time bomb. She won't suspect anything, I tell myself. She'll believe I'm just carrying it to the temple, right? For the money and all...

Yeah. No doubts at all. Totally normal. Right...?

But just as I gather up my courage, take a deep breath, and ring the doorbell, my entire body freezes as if I'm facing a grand jury.

And of course, the door swings open.

Padma aunty stands there, smiling like nothing in the world could go wrong. Great! So much for my prayers! The gods have decided to sit this one out, apparently.

Now I'm standing here, clutching my bag, trying not to look guilty while praying she doesn't have any reason to ask what's inside

Padma Aunty opened the door with her warm, familiar smile and pulled me into a hug. "Shivada! What a surprise! Come in, come in!" she beamed, and I smiled nervously, stepping into the house. My heart was racing, not because I was about to see Aadhi, but because of the little secret stashed in my sling bag.

"Uh, Aunty... Is Aadhi here? It's his birthday, right?" I asked, trying to sound casual.

Padma Aunty nodded with a sigh, her smile fading into a look of concern. "Yes, he's here... in his room since morning. Says he's got work to do. This boy is turning into a workaholic, I swear. I'm starting to worry about him, Shivada. I know it's hard on him, handling all the business stuff without Shiva around, and he's doing his best. But now, I barely see him," she said, her face clouded with concern.

I gave her a reassuring smile, though my own nerves were still buzzing. "Don't worry, Aunty, I'll smack his head and drag him down myself if I have to," I joked, hoping to lift her spirits.

But before I could make my move, she called out, "Aadhi, come down! Shivada is here!"

From upstairs came his familiar voice, muffled but unmistakable. "Tell her to come up, Amma. I'm busy."

Of course, Mr. Busybee had no idea I was carrying more than just my usual sass today.

"This idiot..." Padma Aunty muttered under her breath, and I couldn't help but laugh. She shot me a playful look, shaking her head. "No manners at all. Alright, Shivada, you go on and meet him. I'll make some tea," she said, her exasperation clear but fond. With that, she disappeared into the kitchen.

I took a deep breath, clutching the strap of my sling bag like a lifeline. Here we go. My footsteps echoed softly as I walked toward Aadhi's room, each step making my heart beat faster. The gift felt heavier with every step, like it was burning a hole in my bag.

I knocked softly, my heart pounding, and within seconds, Aadhi opened the door, that sly smile I knew so well playing on his lips. Before I could say a word, he grabbed my wrist and pulled me into his room, shutting the door behind us with a quiet click.

"Baby..." he murmured, pulling me into a tight embrace. His arms enveloped me, and for a moment, the world outside faded away. His breath was warm against my neck as he buried his face there, holding me close as if he hadn't seen me in ages. "I missed you..." he whispered, his voice laced with longing that made my heart skip.