Chapter One

The sun dipped down below the hills of the valley, casting long shadows against the ground. Seraphina knealth by the rivers edge, dipping her hands in the cool, a faint glow emitting from her fingers. Next to her stood a boy around the age of 12 who was holding his heavily injured leg. Behind him stood his mother, her hands grasped together as she whispered silent prayers. Seraphina pressed her wet hands against his leg, taking a deep breath in as the faint light gradually grew brighter, and her hands became warm. Suddenly, the skin on his leg began to stitch itself back together.

"It's fixed, but please be more careful next time. For your mothers sake," Seraphina said softly, pulling her hand away and smiling. The boys mother pulled him in close, tears streaming down her face as she tried to offer her thanks. Seraphina nodded to her and then went to stand up to leave. However, dark figures emerged from the forest on horseback, and she stilled. Their steeds thundered across the open field towards them. Their armor reflecting the orange and red glow of the evening sun. 

"Seraphina of Ithren," one started, his voice booming, "by order of King Caelum, you are summoned to the capital. The king demands your presence."

Her chest tightened. She had heard rumors of the king falling ill, soft whispers spread across her The Temple like wildfire. She had hoped to remain hidden in this small village, but word of her powers spread across the kingdom.

But fate, it seems, had other plans.

The journey through Virelda was long and silent. The tension could be cut with a knife. Seraphina sat between the guards in a carriage, her hands clasped tightly in her lap as the dark woods that surrounded her home stretched endlessly around them. The trees sway in the wind almost ominously. The guards spoke little, their faces hidden by their metal helmets. They didn't look at her directly. To them, she was just a tool to save the king.

Seraphina had heard enough of King Caelum to know that he was a man of war. Virelda's territory had expanded greatly in the short time after his father died. The fact that someone like him would need someone like her - someone who had devoted themselves to healing others - was bitterly ironic.

Her thoughts wandered back to her village that she was leaving. Her small cottage, the wooden temple, and the villagers who had become her family. The quiet days of refining her powers were long gone.

"We'll reach the capital by dawn," one of the guards piped up, breaking the silence, "then you'll be presented to the king immediately."

Seraphina nodded, though her stomach was in knots at the thought. However, there was nothing to do but wait.

The capital loomed in the horizon as dawn broke. Massive stone walls rose like a fortress, and large buildings peaked over. Seraphina gasped at the sight, the largest building she had ever seen was her temple, and that was only two floors.

As they entered the gates, they were met with a bustling marketplace. Despite the number of people, there was something oddly cold and dead about the city. The stone walls projected a different feeling than the forests of her home village.

The guards lead her through what seemed like endless streets before they reached the towering doors of the castle. A royal herald appeared, stepping forward to announce her arrival.

"Seraphina of Ithren," he shouted, "divine healer summoned by his majesty, King Caelum!"

More guards appeared to lead her, all seemingly bigger and more threatening than the last. Seraphinas stomach twisted, and her throat hitched; the wall of the palace felt like they're caving in. The stone walls lined with fine art, the floors lined with dark red rugs, each room closed off by a thick wooden door.

She was led to two large doors that swung open to reveal a throne room.  Its high ceiling was adorned with chandeliers filled with candles. At the end of the long room stood an imposing throne lined with gold detailing. King Caelum's presence was just as imposing as his throne. Tall, broad-shouldered, crowned with dark iron, with pale skin, icy blue eyes, and jet black hair. His dark features held a pallor that was unwittingly of a royal. His dark, imposing eyes had slight dark circles. His sharp features sunken in. His cold eyes looked at her up and down curiously.

"So... you're the one that defys death itself," his baritone voice echoed through the room. Seraphina's pulse quickened, but she held his gaze.

"I am a healer and a worshipper of Aurelia, nothing more," she responded. As she reached the foot of his throne, a hand on her shoulder forced her to kneel. A smile twisted onto the King's face.

"We shall see," he said, leaning forward.

Silence stretched across the throne room for a moment. Seraphina's heartbeat pounded in her ears. Eventually, King Caelum went to stand, each of his movements seemingly weighed down by an invisible force. He stepped down the large stairs, closing the distance between them. His gaze never left hers.

"They say you can heal what others can't," his voice softer, "is that true?"

"I have been blessed by Aurelia to be able to heal others' injuries and illnesses," she whispered.

"We shall test the limits of your abilities soon enough," he smiled, "take her to her quarters she will begin tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" She gasped, "I haven't agreed to anything." He turns around sharply, a flicker of surprise on his face quickly replaced by anger.

"You were brought here to serve me. You will do what I say, or I will burn your village to the ground," his voice was cold and calculated. The threat came at her like a blade to the throat. Her hands tightened into fists, and her eyes swelled slightly with tears at her predicament, "you are dismissed."

Her arm was yanked backward as she was dragged out of the throne room. She didn't fight as her heart felt heavy. She knew she had little choice but to obey. She couldn't let her people suffer for her own selfish choice. However, her mind raced.

What curse could be so powerful that even the king fears it?