Chapter Two

Seraphina's chambers were far grander than anything she had known before. A large plush bed, a hearth, plush chairs, and a large vanity littered the room. She sat down in front of the mirror, taking a comb to her black, coily hair. Getting all the knots from the journey out. The luxury around her brought no comfort as all she could think about was her village back home. She hopes that she can cure whatever the curse is so they will not be harmed. There was more to this curse than she knew. Faint rumors say he was cursed by an ancient enemy. However, the details were few.

She walked towards the window of the room, looking down upon the stone streets. Faint street lights flickered, and the once bustling streets had died. The door to her chamber suddenly creeped open, and a young woman entered. Her face pale, with green eyes and light brown hair.

"I'm sorry for the intrusion. I am Elena, your maid," she started, "how may I be of service?"

"Tell me, what do you know about the kings illness?" She asked.

Elena's eyes darted towards the door before leaning in close to Seraphina, "they say he was cursed by a Sorceress up north."

The northern territories had recently been conquered by King Caelum. The battle had been long and bloody, the crown losing tremendous support before the victory. However, after the victory, there was even greater support for them than before. It wouldn't be far-fetched that a magic user would curse them. That territory is known for its talented spellcasters and witches.

"Does anyone know what kind of curse it is?" She asked, but the woman shook her head. Seraphina's plump lips tightened into a frown.

"I had clothing brought up for you for the coming days," Elena said, smiling. She walked towards a smaller set of doors to reveal a large walk-in closet filled to the brim with different colors and materials. She pulled out a few options: one a deep purple floor-length gown and the other a light blue one. The dresses were exquisite, the fine materials soft against Seraphina's hand.

"I think I look better in light blue," Seraphina decided. Elena smiled and set the others back, laying the chosen one out. She gave a quick bow before leaving the room quickly. The silence was uncomfortable.

Seraphina begins to undress out of her top dress and corset, leaving just her undergarments. The hearth provides substantial heat. However, the stone flooring was still freezing to the touch. Shivering, she steps towards the fire, kneeling on a runner rug in front of it.

The door opens again, causing Seraphina to jump. She turns around quickly to reveal the king again. He notices how little she is wearing, and a brush appears on his face. He looks away before clearing his throat.

"I was hoping we could have a moment alone to see if you could sense anything," he said. There was a slight desperation to his voice. She nodded, afraid of what would happen if she said no. He gives a weak smile before walking over to her, kneeling down next to her.

"Pray with me," she said, taking his hands in hers. His hands were warm and calloused, having seen the battlefield hundreds of times. Seraphina channels the spirit of Aurelia within her. The warm, nurturing feeling of her god is cut short by something sinister. The hatred needed to cast such a curse was great. Breaking something like this will take more than just a healer. She digs deeper within her powers, the glow and warmth admitting from her growing brighter. Caelum and Seraphina are drawn together like a magnet. They're for heads touching as she grasps for any information.

Suddenly, she sees something. A building in the woods close to the walls of the capital. She sees a glimpse of an old woman inside. However, her face is obscured by her dark cloak.

"I think I have a starting point," she said, opening her eyes. Their proximity causes her to pull away sharply. Caelum's intense gaze causes her heart to pump hard in her chest.