Chapter Three

The following days were a blur. The security around Seraphina tightened as the king became more erratic; desperately clinging to the solution. Seraphina, on the other hand, began to commune with her deity; desperate to find another solution.

Seraphina walked down the stone halls, her leather boots clicking against the floors. Two guards trailed behind her, their armor clanking with every step. It had been a few weeks since the seers cottage, and she hasn't been allowed to be alone since. She sighed, turning into the library. She hoped that somewhere in the vastness of the royal library would be more information. However, her efforts have been futile. Every book she has read has little information. Her mind drifts back to the seer, her twisted smile, and cloudy eyes. If only she could go back there to get more information.

She walks down a mahogany bookshelf, skimming the titles and covers. The doors to the library swung back open to reveal King Caelum, his pace urgent. This is the first time she has seen him since the cottage, and it made her heart pound in her ears. Her emotions: a mix of anger, shock, and confusion. He closes the distance between them, his expression cold.

"We can not wait any longer. The wedding must happen now," his voice was strained.

"There has to be another way to dissolve the curse," she responded.

"I'm not asking, Seraphina. This is about my survival and the survival of the kingdom," his voice was grim. Seraphina laughed bitterly.

"And what about me? What do I get out of it?" she glared at him. There was a tense pause, Caelum's gaze turned into something ruthless.

"You get to save you people," he stepped closer, now inches away from Seraphina. She could feel his hot labored breathing on her skin, "if you don't marry me, I will give the order at sunrise. I'll make sure there's nothing left but ashes. Your friends - your family - will pay for your defiance."

Seraphina stared at him, fury taking over her, "You're a monster."

"You think I want to marry?" He started, "but this isn't about me. This is about the kingdom. Do you think your village will survive against the invading armies of the surrounding kingdoms after they find out I died? Just know that your defiance will kill more than just me."

"You're no king... you're a tyrant," Seraphina's voice shaked with rage.

"Perhaps, but a tyrant who is alive for his kingdom. Marry me, and your village will be spared. Refuse, and they'll burn like Itheca."

Tears streamed down Seraphina's face. Itheca was the northern territory's capital city. The stories of Caelum's violence there stretched far across the kingdom. Only one part of the story was consistent: no one was spared. She took her face in her hands and sobbed.

~~~~~~~

It wasn't long until Caelum issued a royal decree about the engagement. If it wasn't for the constant watch of guards and the threat to her village, Seraphina would have fled.

As to not expose the curse to the ignorant people, all the formalities of a royal wedding must take place. So, Seraphina sat in an opulent royal dressing chamber; gold accents, dresses of silk and satin, and royal jewelry were shown. Seraphina stood awkwardly in front of a gold trimmed mirror. A glamorous silk forest green wedding dress was being adjusted to her body by Elena.

"It's heavy," Seraphina said, her voice defeated. Elena notices and smiles, trying to make the best of a bad situation.

"This dress - it's like it was made for you. You look radiant,"  she smiled as she adjusted some of the lace on Seraphina's collar, "I know it's not the best circumstance, but you're going to be a queen! Most girls dream about this."