49

Sincerely, Lucien.

The weight of the conversation with Nolan and the others hung heavy as I made my way to the training area. I had decided to confront Marlena, to clear the air that had become so thick with unresolved tension. But as I approached, I found myself struggling with my own nerves. What if this only made things worse?

The training area was an open space, the air thick with the scent of sweat and the clattering of weaponry. My gaze fell on Marlena as I entered. She was in the midst of a grueling workout, her movements sharp and precise. Her outfit was minimal—just a torn tank top and shorts, barely covering her. The fabric clung to her sweat-slicked skin, revealing the toned muscles beneath.

I took a deep breath, shaking off the unsettling thoughts. I was here to address the tension, not to get distracted. I pulled off my shirt, letting it fall to the ground as I moved toward her. My intentions were clear: I was here to train and confront her at the same time.

Marlena glanced up, her eyes narrowing as she saw me approaching. Her expression shifted from surprise to something darker—frustration, anger. "Decided to join me, did you?" she snapped, her tone brimming with irritation.

I didn't bother to mask my own frustration. "I thought it was time we had a talk. And if you're going to train like that, I might as well join in."

She snorted, her movements never faltering. "So now you want to be all buddy-buddy? Or is this just another way for you to assert control?"

I positioned myself beside her, matching her intensity with equal fervor. "This isn't about control. It's about figuring out what's going on between us. You've been avoiding it, and it's affecting everything."

Her eyes flared with defiance. "Avoiding it? I've been right here, doing my best to help you all while you act like I'm just some problem to be dealt with."

I blocked a strike from her with a swift movement, the force of our clash sending a jolt through my arm. "You think I'm treating you like a problem? Maybe I'm just trying to understand why you're so determined to keep everything secret."

She glared at me, her face inches from mine. "Maybe because some things are none of your business. Maybe because you're just as much a problem as anything else."

Her words were a sharp sting, but there was something else behind her anger—an undercurrent of frustration that mirrored my own. I could feel the heat between us growing, an electric charge that made it hard to focus on anything but her.

"I'm trying to give you a chance to explain," I said, my voice rough with suppressed emotion. "But you keep pushing me away."

Marlena's gaze locked onto mine, her breath coming in short, sharp bursts. "Maybe I don't want to explain. Maybe I want you to get it over with—whatever you're planning to do."

Her words hung in the air, charged with an intensity that made my heart pound. The tension between us had reached a boiling point, and I could feel the heat of her anger, the raw energy that was almost palpable.

Without thinking, I closed the gap between us, grabbing her by the shoulders and pulling her close. Her breath mingled with mine, the heat of her body pressing against me. Her eyes were wide, a mixture of surprise and defiance.

"Get it over with?" I growled, my voice a rough whisper. "What exactly do you want me to do?"

Marlena's eyes flashed with a fierce determination. "You know what I mean."

In a move that surprised both of us, I closed the distance and pressed my lips to hers. It was a heated, angry kiss, a collision of emotions and desires. Our lips moved together with a fierce urgency, the raw intensity of our feelings spilling out in this single, passionate act.

The world around us seemed to disappear, leaving only the two of us in this tangled mess of anger and attraction. The kiss was rough, driven by the frustration and heat that had been building between us. It was an attempt to release the pressure that had been mounting, a way to address the unspoken tension that had been simmering just beneath the surface.

As we finally broke apart, our breaths coming in ragged gasps, the reality of the moment hit us both. The air was charged with unspoken words and unresolved issues. I could see the storm of emotions in Marlena's eyes, and I knew that this was far from over.

The training area seemed to close in around us, the sounds of our training fading into the background. The moment was far from resolved, and as we stared at each other, the lingering heat between us made it clear that there were still many things left to address.