91

Sincerely, Marlena.

The gym was relatively quiet again, a haven of sorts where I could focus on maintaining my fitness without overexerting myself. Beckham and Santiago were nearby, their watchful presence a constant reminder of the delicate balance I was trying to maintain. My workout was less intense today, more of a controlled routine to ensure I didn't push myself too hard while still staying sharp.

As I finished my set of stretches, Beckham approached, his eyes fixed on the large scar running down the side of my mid-thigh. The look in his eyes was one of concern mixed with something else—something I couldn't quite place but knew was tied to the history behind the scar.

He cleared his throat and spoke softly, "Marlena, I need you to be careful during this upcoming mission. I know how important it is, but you've got to look after yourself. That scar"—he gestured to the mark on my leg—"it's a reminder of how things can go wrong. Just promise me you'll take it easy when you need to."

I looked down at the scar, a part of my past that I rarely spoke about. It was a physical reminder of a time filled with pain and loss, a time I had worked hard to overcome. Beckham's words were a stark reminder of how my past was never truly left behind, even as I tried to move forward.

"I'll be careful," I said, trying to sound reassuring despite the knots of tension in my stomach. "I'm not planning to take unnecessary risks."

Beckham nodded, his gaze lingering on the scar before meeting my eyes again. "Good. We all need you at your best. And if things get tough, remember, you don't have to face them alone."

I appreciated his concern, though I wished I could share more about my past to explain why that scar was more than just a mark on my skin. For now, though, it was a part of me that I chose to keep buried, its secrets locked away for the sake of everyone around me.

As I started to gather my things, I caught Santiago giving me a thoughtful look. He seemed to sense the weight of the conversation, his eyes shifting toward the entrance of the gym. I glanced over my shoulder and noticed that Lucien and the other North Fort boys, along with the younger brothers, were hanging around in the vicinity, their presence more conspicuous than usual.

I couldn't be sure if they had been trying to overhear our conversation, but the way they shifted and exchanged glances made me uneasy. The tension was palpable, a sign that they might have picked up on something they weren't meant to know.

Beckham and Santiago exchanged a brief look, their expressions unreadable but tinged with something that suggested they were aware of the potential eavesdropping. Beckham's hand briefly rested on my shoulder, his touch firm yet comforting.

"Let's keep this conversation between us," Beckham said quietly. "The less they know, the better."

I nodded, appreciating their discretion. "Understood. I'll be careful."

With a final nod, I left the gym, my mind racing with thoughts of the upcoming mission and the delicate balance I needed to maintain. The concern in Beckham's eyes and the subtle unease among the others weighed heavily on me. As I walked away, I couldn't shake the feeling that the shadows of my past were getting closer, threatening to disrupt the fragile peace I had managed to build.

The road ahead was uncertain, and with the mission looming, I knew I had to stay focused. But the echoes of my past and the watchful eyes of those around me made it clear that the challenge was far from over.