99

Sincerely, Marlena.

The gunfire had faded, swallowed by the hum of distant machinery and the heavy silence that followed every fight. I crouched low behind a rusted truck, trying to steady my breathing, but the acrid taste of fear clung to my tongue. Where was everyone?

The plan had been precise. We moved like shadows, efficient and brutal, hitting East Ridge before they had a chance to hit us. But something had gone wrong — I couldn't pinpoint it, but the second we broke into smaller groups, it felt off. The chaos, the smoke, it disoriented me.

I waited, ears straining for the familiar sounds of my brothers or Lucien, for their sharp commands or the steady rhythm of their footsteps. Nothing. My heart pounded harder, and the silence pressed down on me like a weight.

"Judah? Mylo?" I whispered into my comm, praying for a response. But all I got was static. Useless.

I should have stayed closer to them. The mission was simple: get in, grab the supplies, and hit them hard before they even knew what happened. But now, everything was a blur of smoke and confusion.

A rustle from behind me snapped me out of my haze, and I whirled around, gun raised. My fingers were trembling on the trigger. Too slow.

A sharp blow connected with my side, knocking the wind out of me. I hit the ground hard, my weapon skittering out of reach. I gasped, fighting for air as hands clamped down on my wrists, pinning me to the cold dirt. My vision blurred, spots dancing in front of my eyes, but I forced myself to focus. Whoever had me wasn't playing around.

I thrashed, trying to kick out, but another figure grabbed my legs, binding them tight. Panic shot through me, fast and cold. My body twisted, desperate to escape, but it only made the restraints tighter.

"Hold still," a rough voice growled, close to my ear. His breath was hot against my skin, and I froze for a second, my body going rigid. "We don't want to hurt you too much."

I bit down on the inside of my cheek, forcing back the scream that clawed its way up my throat. I wouldn't give them that satisfaction. Not yet.

They yanked me up, my knees scraping against the rough pavement. I could barely make out their faces through the haze of smoke, but I recognized the insignia on their vests — East Ridge. They had found me, just like we had feared.

I tried to twist free, to shout, to do anything, but a blow to the back of my head sent my vision spinning again. The ground swayed beneath me as I was dragged away from the truck, the weight of my captors pressing down on me like iron chains. My mind was racing — where were my brothers? Lucien? Anyone?

"Let go of me!" I finally screamed, my voice hoarse and desperate. My body felt heavy, useless. How could I have let this happen?

They didn't respond. The grip on my arms tightened, bruising, cutting off any circulation. My legs barely dragged along the ground as they hauled me deeper into the shadows. The sound of gunfire was long gone now. The fight was over.

It felt like hours before they threw me into a small, dark room — the door slammed shut with a deafening clang. My body hit the cold floor hard, and I winced as my head throbbed from where they had struck me. Everything ached.

My fingers fumbled with the bindings on my wrists, but they had tied them too tightly. The rope bit into my skin as I struggled, every movement sending sharp pain up my arms. I forced myself to breathe, slow and steady, fighting the panic rising in my chest. I couldn't lose control. Not now. Not here.

The room was silent, save for the faint drip of water from somewhere in the corner. It reeked of mold and damp, the air heavy with decay. I shifted, trying to get my bearings, but my head was spinning, and I could barely keep my eyes open.

"Think," I whispered to myself. "Think, Marlena." But every thought was clouded by fear, by the creeping dread that I had failed. That I was alone.

Suddenly, footsteps echoed from outside the door. I tensed, muscles coiling, ready for whatever came next. The door creaked open, a sliver of light cutting through the darkness. Two figures stepped in, their faces obscured, but the cruel smile on the one in front sent a chill down my spine.

"Looks like we caught his South Haven girl," he sneered, crouching down in front of me. His eyes gleamed with twisted amusement as he grabbed my chin, forcing me to meet his gaze. "You're gonna wish you'd never come here."

I glared at him, my jaw clenched so tightly it hurt. I wouldn't give him anything. I wouldn't let them break me.

But deep down, fear gnawed at me. I had no idea what they were planning, or how far they were willing to go. And for the first time, a sinking realization settled over me — I might not make it out of here.

And worst of all, I wasn't sure anyone would find me in time.