Echoes of War

Between Two Souls, Chapter 8

Adrien looked around the room. He saw Erika beside him, trying to wake him up, and Vino behind her, looking worried and scared. Adrien sat up in bed.

"It seems like you had a bad dream, Adrien. A really bad one. Even Vino got scared," Erika said as she stroked Adrien's back.

"I... I had a strange dream. Really strange. It felt so real."

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I was in a strange place, a place that seemed like it didn't exist in this world."

"Huh?" Erika looked confused.

"I was in a weird house. The rooms there were lit by magical glowing balls, and they could be turned on with a switch. Then I went to a place that looked like a kitchen. There was a very cold cabinet there. The stove turned on without firewood."

"Adrien, maybe you're just too stressed about..."

"No, Erika! Listen to me first! There was also something like a board that emitted light and pictures. Then I bathed in a bathroom with water gushing out like a fountain."

"Okay, Adrien, calm down. Take it slow."

"The dream ended with me meeting someone. That person told me to leave, and then my head started hurting. Erika, I feel like the things I experienced before are connected to this series of dreams."

"Wait, you've had similar dreams before?"

"OF COURSE! I even saw something strange, like my potato suddenly turning into something called a 'handphone.' I don't know what that thing is, or where the name 'handphone' comes from."

Erika and Vino turned to look at each other, confused about what Adrien was talking about. Erika got off the bed and stepped away. She seemed to be deep in thought. With determination, Erika was about to reveal something she had been holding back.

"Turns out, they were right," Erika muttered.

Erika turned to face Adrien.

"The Ancestor Order wants to meet you, but before that, there's an emergency meeting you need to attend."

"What? The Ancestor Order? Who are they?" Adrien looked at Vino in confusion. Vino also appeared puzzled.

"I'll explain it to you later. But right now, there's a heated debate you need to attend," Erika said, grabbing Adrien's hand and urging him to hurry.

"Uh, wait! Let me change clothes first."

"Alright, but be quick. I'll wait for you outside the room."

Erika walked out, leaving Adrien and Vino alone. Adrien quickly changed with Vino's help.

Adrien glanced at the mirror, looking at his body from top to bottom, wondering if his fate was about to change. Vino handed him his coat, helping him dress.

"Vino, can I ask you something? It's quite serious."

Vino stood silently, staring at her husband's reflection in the mirror for a moment, then nodded.

"Are you ready if the worst happens to me?"

The elf went quiet, as if the question weighed heavily on her. Adrien turned around and noticed the burden his wife was carrying. His heart stirred, and he hugged her.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Vino. I shouldn't have put this pressure on you on your first day."

Vino sighed. "It's alright, Prince. I should be the one apologizing for not being ready to be your wife. I know your days are getting harder."