Somewhere Over the Rainbow

That evening, Imelda came home, and the family got together for dinner. Mirabel didn't feel like talking, so she just listened to her parents talk and only spoke when one of them directly asked her something. Only after everyone at the table finished their meals did Joaquín and Imelda finally notice that their daughter had been quiet as a mouse the entire time. They hoped they weren't completely ignoring her.

"Miraboo, you've been quieter than a mouse since you got home," Joaquín said. "What's wrong?"

Mirabel didn't want to burden her parents with problems from the past, but it sure felt like it wasn't in the past. "Mami, Papi, do you think I'm weird?" she asked.

Imelda and Joaquin were shocked to hear that. They never believed their daughter was weird.

"¿Mande? ¿Nuestra hija, extraña?" Joaquín gasped. "Now where in the name of Gabriel García Marquez did you get an idea like that, mija?"

"I'm just not sure I fit in anywhere," Mirabel sighed. "It's really hard to move on when the past decides to just follow you into the future."

"Did you have a bad day in college, Mira?" Imelda asked.

"Nayeli, Dolores, Rocio, and Camilo were actually on the college campus," Mirabel said. "They got the bright idea to come to Universidad de Mariposa, just so they could keep pretending they're better than everyone."

"Ay, yai, yai, que pendejos," Imelda frowned.

"Sí, and they won't get off my back," Mirabel sighed.

"In other words, they followed you to your college, so they keep making you feel bad about your interests," Joaquín sniffed. He placed a slice of refrigerated pecan pie in front of his daughter.

"Parece que sí—y gracias, Papi," Mirabel sighed. "I don't think I'll ever be safe in this world."

"Those muchachos will have to learn that it's not all about them," Imelda said. "They're not in high school anymore, so it's time to move on."

"I have the feeling they'll be homeless in the future because they won't step out of their little egocentric world," Mirabel scoffed. Then she thought about what Camilo said. Maybe it was time she stepped out of her dream world, but who knows what would happen if she did? She certainly had no desire to date a brute like Camilo, and putting up with Nayeli, Rocio, and Dolores was the last thing she wanted. She just wished they wouldn't judge her, just avoid wasting their time picking on her.

That evening, Mirabel was in her room, coloring in some drawings. She had a wild imagination and would draw anything that popped into her head. The drawing she was coloring was of the river, the Caño Cristales, at sunset with colorful clouds. This river was one of Mirabel's favorite places because the plants at the bottom made the water look colorful. It just goes to show that a river doesn't always need a sunset to make it look colorful. Speaking of sunsets, there was a real one happening right now. Mirabel looked out the window and admired the sunset. There were no clouds, but it was beautiful anyway. Mirabel looked at another drawing, which was of a rainbow.

"If only I could find a place where nobody would judge me," Mirabel told herself. "Could there really be such a place? Debe ser. It's not a place you can get to by boat or train. It's far, far away, behind the moon, beyond the rain..." She had a music box that would play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". When she opened it, a figurine of the ruby slippers was inside and spinning around while the song played—and she began to sing along.

Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high

There's a land that I heard of

Once in a lullaby

Somewhere over the rainbow

Skies are blue

And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star

And wake up where the clouds are far behind me

Where troubles melt like lemon drops

Away above the chimney tops

That's where you'll find me

Somewhere over the rainbow

Bluebirds fly

Birds fly over the rainbow

Why then oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow

Why oh why can't I?

Mirabel really loved that song, and it sure calmed her nerves. But she still wished she could meet someone who wouldn't judge her for her interests—and she also wished her high school bullies would find something better to do than follow her to campus and pretend they're still in high school.