( xviii )

xviii

xviii. would you rather
❝ i'm sorry, it's just a kiss ❞

ヾ₊˚. crossed paths music box
is now rolling . . .

the weekend • sza
monday and i'll be at your door

YEORIN RESTED HER HEAD ON SUNGHOON'S THIGH, yet this situation felt different. there was no warmth or fluttering in her chest as his fingers gently ran through her short hair while she concentrated on her reading. she thought she had moved on from those deep feelings, or perhaps she was too engrossed in the novel to think about them.

"what did you do today?" sunghoon asked, his gaze resting thoughtfully on her.

she paused, reflecting on she did. the day had been uneventful—a few conversations with jaeyun and some quiet time with her book.

"nothing much. i mostly slept," she answered, her eyes still on the page.

"what about you?" she asked casually, indicating she was listening even as her attention remained on her book.

"i went to work, but you weren't there," he said in a casual tone. "i just assumed you'd be there."

yeorin chuckled softly, "oh..." she muttered, unsure how to respond, her thoughts lingering on the fact that she had been absent.

"it's okay," sunghoon quickly added, but yeorin's sigh betrayed her. something about the day—or perhaps the space between them—felt off.

and park sunghoon noticed it too. her voice lacked the familiar energy, and the way she moved seemed distant. maybe he was overthinking it, or perhaps it was the fact that jaeyun had been spending more time with her. sunghoon might have been feeling paranoid and jealous because he saw yeorin giving attention to another guy. and their friends supporting jaeyun only added to his dissatisfaction, but sunghoon was too proud to admit how much it bothered him.

"any news?" he asked.

"not really," yeorin hummed. "why?"

sunghoon hesitated, licking his lips as he mulled over the right words. "no reason," he replied with a shrug.

"yeorin," he spoke again, more seriously this time.

"hmm?" she responded, turning her head up slightly, waiting for him to continue.

"what's going on with you?" he asked. he wasn't sure how to approach the feelings swirling inside him.

they were not in a relationship, at least not officially, but he had always thought there was something between them. now, that connection felt fragile, as though she was slipping away.