pants an' shirt!

Key'mauni- 7 years oldCamelot village, Jamaica Kingston

Camelot village, Jamaica Kingston

Peace is more than the absence of war. Peace is accord. Harmony -Laini Taylor

"Mommy can we have pancakes in de mawning? i yawn as my mother puts my covers over me with a soft smile spread on her face

"no yuh have school inna the mawning but mi promise we will  mek it Saturday when everybody deh home"

i smile at her a toothy grin before turning on my side and shutting my eyes falling into the dream land.

suddenly i hear a loud scream from down  the hall, causing me to jump up from my sleep.

i hang my feet over the edge of my bed, before jumping on the floor and tiptoeing over to the door before bolting to the edge of the hallway.

i peek my head into the small open space in my mother and father's bedroom watching in horror  as my father lifts my mother off the ground by her neck and slaps her right across her face

"Daddy?" i mumble while rubbing my eyes walking into the room, getting his and her attention almost immediately

He releases her quickly and i watch as she falls to the ground struggling to breath, coughing violently .

Watching my father's red low eyes staring back into mine with no emotions and dilated pupils. 

"Key'mauni go back inna yuh bed" my mother waves me away, still coughing loudly.

"yuh hear wey yuh mudda say, guh back inna yuh bomboclat bed!" my father's voice echoes through the room, causing me to jump and scramble out of the room.

I shoot up from the bed, with shallow breaths. i look around recognizing I'm in the brand new apartment, causing me to sigh in relief.

Picking up my phone, i check the time seeing it's 7:00, giving me ample time to get ready for work.

They say your dreams  are a stem from your imagination, or memories and wishes pumped up from deep within your brain and from perception; the vivid sensory experiences you collect in your forebrain.

So my problem is, why am I dreaming about having an abusive father when  was 7 years old?

but then again, they also say when you experience traumatic things as a child, your brain automatically tries to suppresses the negative memories when you dissociate, leading to memory loss.

So was it a dream...or was it a lost memory?

I take one final look in the mirror, smiling at my black jeans and my plain white t shirt, and to complete the look, i put my black air force on before heading out the door and locking it behind me.