confidence is sexy

Key'mauni Blake- Atlanta Georgia

Key'mauni Blake-
Atlanta Georgia

11:00 am

You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the ocean- anonymous

I exhale loudly as i muster up the courage to open the door.

i shake my head, turning and walking away, glancing into the window watching the dancers with sadness in my eyes.

every day on my way to work i pass by this building and I always stop at the door trying to brave myself up and go inside.

apologize

join the class

talk to him

something!

but today, just like every other day I cant find it in my heart to do such.

i glance into the class and see them carrying on with their normal choreography and his eyes lock on mine, causing me to shuffle away out of embarrassment

since me and Khandi went to the club two weeks ago, I've been avoiding her.

i keep replaying what Jamila said to me that night

because what could she possibly mean?

I step into the bookstore inhaling with a small smile on my face at the scent of paper, coffee and cinnamon.

"Good morning miss C" i greet Miss Cook and she smiles silently at me.

"I need you to do me a favor today" she grabs onto my arm softly, tugging me towards the kids section.

"Can you lead story time today? It would be a huge help because right now, you're my best worker"

"sure no problem" I grin at her, showing off my teeth.

I walk over to the small platform and take a seat on the large throne like chair, gaining the attention of all the children.

"Good morning everybody" i greet, gaining a few 'hello's and some 'HI's throughout the group.

the parents and adults stand on the outskirts while all the children  sit crisscross applesauce on the colorful cushions in the room

"today we're gonna be reading Thomas the Tank engine: the power of friendship" i smile , looking from the title to the children

most of the parents are on their phones but I realize that one of the fathers keeps his eyes glued to me with a small smile upon his face the whole time.

After I'm finished reading three books to the children, they all start going back to their respective guardians, as i begin packing away the children's books

"You're great  with kids" i hear from behind me.

i look over my shoulder to the the man that was staring t me the entire time, causing me to chuckle.