CH13-He who walks with darkness

Samael sewed his mouth shut as he closely trailed behind Aphemis. His eyes dim, and his brows furrowed. His guilt consuming him akin to a boat stranded in the middle of a raging storm.

Although he wasn't idle these past few months, it pales in comparison to what Lilith had endured, and even if it isn't entirely his fault, he can't help but blame himself for all the pain that his friend went through.

Samael and Aphemis treaded the forest with ease. The road they tackled wasn't all that foreign to Samael, as he had already traversed this path countless times, but by some miracle of God knows who, they somehow ended up in a place he holds no knowledge of.

Samael's brow furrowed as he wandered his eyes in his vicinity. That can't be right; I went through that road so many times, but there wasn't this place near it.

"Save yourself the trouble and forget what you saw" Aphemis interjected. "This place was made to be hidden, so it was expected you wouldn't find it."

Samael nodded stiffly. His face contorted as he realized he was wasting time and effort all along.

With a heavy sigh, he delved through his bag, retrieving a small object nesting in his palm. It was a white hairpin. It wasn't the most beautiful nor the most extravagant, but he poured his heart into crafting it. Doing so gave him solace in his hardest moments.

It was composed of flowers he stumbled upon during his long journey and decorated with the horns of crimson rabbits.

Why horns? Aside from the fact that their natural beauty far exceeds most, it is under the ethereal guidance of the celestial moon that they show their true splendor.

"We're near," Aphemis said, shattering the cold silence.

Samael's gaze shifted forward, his brow raising to an arch. What lay ahead of him... was nothing. It was the same myriad of trees towering over him.

"As I said, don't think too hard. The place is hidden as well." Aphemis spoke.

Samael's forehead wrinkled, a lone thought raging in his mind. Why is everything so hidden? From the moment they've set foot here, all he's seen are traps and camouflage magic. Is it because of those cloaked assassins?

Lost in his thoughts, Samael recoiled back as he collided with Aphemis. The demoness halted her steps and stood in the middle of a clearing. Her eyes peering forward.

"...Are we here?" Samael asked, his brows furrowed.

Aphemis strode forward, her figure fading into the unknown. As though she was submerged and devoured by something unseen by the eyes of mortals.

Another camouflage? Samael shook his head. Was there any point trying to understand what just occured? With the amount of traps lacing this forest, he won't even be surprised if it's another concealing magic.

He took a deep breath, sending his foot forward, and to his surprise, it felt as though he was merely passing through air.

Shifting his gaze forward, Samael's breath hitched.

The golden hue of the sun illuminated the myriad of flowers decorating the expanse. Their sweet fragrant scent weaving with the gentle stride of the wind.

Ahead stood a mansion—no, it was a castle, to be exact. Its towering walls, glistening white under the luminescent rays of the sun.

The path forward made of finely sculpted stone gave a warm sensation under his soles, a weird but accepted change.

"Focus," Aphemis said. "Time is of the essence. Right now, Lilith is probably on her usual walks, so this is the perfect opportunity."

Samael tilted his head. "Why can't I just meet her face-to-face?"