CH14-Relief

Aphemis's hair stood on ends, a cold shiver drilling down her bones. She felt a primal voice within her, warning her...

RUN!

She stomped the ground hard, swiftly dashing away. A lone bead of sweat meandered down her forehead, some drenching her back.

Her eyes froze wide in horror as she stared at the physical manifestation of malice and wrath.

A crimson dark veil shrouded the chamber, wreaking havoc on those near it. Cracks marred the stone walls, stirring the dust in its wake.

Aphemis held her chest, her breathing disheveled. She glanced at her trembling hands. This was...

Fear.

A foreign emotion not even her death battles could invoke. Just what kind of hatred does that weapon hold to emit this much negative energy?

On the other hand, Samael took the brunt of the impact. His body shook, blood oozing from his orifices. His muscles ached as they spasmed under the revolting rampage of the weapon. Yet, he didn't let go. A single panel hovered in front of his bloodshot eyes.

Do you wish to challenge [REDACTED]?

Samael clenched his jaw as he roared deep in his mind.

DO IT!!!

A chaotic surge of wind galloped towards him. It lashed with unfaltering rage, sweeping away the chamber, weapons and Aphemis, akin to dust being blown away.

Before his eyes, the chamber resting underneath the castle was devoured by the engulfing winds, in its stead stood a crimson field. Its vast expanse reaching as far as his gaze could perceive.

Streaks of lightning hid under the blood tainted sky, leaving luminescent gashes across the heavens. That, paired with the foul smell of decay and rot froze Samael's blood cold.

Where the hell am I? Samael looked around. "Aphemis?!" He screamed, his voice leaving a trail of echo.

CAW!

Samael jerked his head upwards, his heart galloping like a stallion.

Ravens flew high in the sky, their scarlet eyes carving a glare at him. They hovered above him, circling him as if he's prey.

It was just birds... Samael wiped the lone bead of sweat on his forehead.

He shifted his gaze ahead— In the corner of his eyes, a dark silhouette darted towards him.

His eyes jolted wide as he ducked, the silhouette grazing his cheek, leaving a shallow cut. Samael winced as he dashed back.

"What—" Samael felt his breath hitch.

His blood went cold as he bore eyes at the beast—no, at that creature. It stood nearly 2 meters tall, its build was slender with elongated tentacles protruding from its body.

Its had no skin, its flesh pulsating under the layers of blood oozing out of its body.

It appeared like a bag of flesh, bones, and nerves slammed together in a foolish attempt to copy human form.

Samael's foot backed away. His breathing, ragged as he watched the creature's faceless head squirm.

As Samael blinked, the creature vanished. Glancing down, a shadow towered over him. Slowly, he cranked his head back, the gut wrenching face of the abomination greeting him.

Samael kicked the ground hard, dashing forward.

A searing pain struck his back. The creature's claw cleaving deep in his flesh.