The condemnation

Maya was fuming and she wanted to hit something, someone, and it was at that moment that she heard that 'someone's' voice.

She was passing by one of Carina's advisor's rooms when she overheard the King's voice.

"Our plan is working," Roan said.

"It is, it's just a matter of time now," the advisor said.

"Thank you for helping me with the original signatures and thumbprints, I had to empty my pockets to get them copied to the document but it will all be worth it in the end," Roan said. "This Kingdom has what mine doesn't, and a union like this will deliver me all the riches my kingdom could never procure on their own. And someday, when I'm sick and tired of her, it will all be mine," he said.

"What do you mean?" The advisor asked.

"You know what I mean! Once we're wed, everything she owns is mine, and that means I inherit it all when she's gone," the king said smugly.

"Are you saying you would..." the advisor asked.

"If I could fake a marriage contract sourcing signatures and thumbprints from both our dead parents, then getting rid of her is a piece of cake!" Roan laughed.

The advisor didn't respond. "Don't worry, you'll be heavily rewarded. Keep my secret safe and you will reap the benefits of my success for as long as I'm alive dear friend," he said.

Maya's eyes widened with everything she was hearing. The contract was a hoax. The Queen was being conned by Roan. And she was going to marry him. And after they were married, he was going to kill her. Maya waited to hear if there was anything more. But the king began closing the conversation. Maya ran back to Carina's room as soon as she could.

***

Maya knocked on Carina's door. But Carina doesn't answer. So Maya knocks again harder this time.

When Carina opens the door Maya finds her in her nightgown, her cheeks red, like she'd just wiped her tears harshly before opening the door. When Carina saw it was Maya who knocked she began to shut the door on her.

"Wait, Carina, wait, it's about the King," Maya said.

"You've said enough about the king Maya, I don't want to hear it," Carina said. "Go away, please," Carina said, clearly still hurt by what Maya had said earlier. And Maya could hear how difficult it was for Carina to say it. She herself regretted everything she said to Carina earlier.

"Please Carina, it's important, I'm sorry, please, let me talk to you, I need you to hear me out," she said.

"Hear you out?" Carina bit back. "You mean hear you accuse me of cheating on you, hear you accuse me of using you? No, I'm sorry, I'm done," Carina said, shutting the door again.

Maya spoke to the shut door knowing Carina couldn't have walked away from it so quickly.

"I'm sorry, Carina, please," she said.

"You're sorry now? After you heard my anger, after I refuse to give you the time of day when you want it? That's real mature of you Maya. You can apologise when you grow up and when you take me seriously!" Carina said.

"It's about Roan, Carina, please, it's all a hoax, he wants to hurt you," Maya said. She couldn't use the k word. No, she could not let it happen. So she wouldn't put that out in the world.

Carina opened the door and looked at Maya with anger in her eyes. "Oh the lengths you will go to make him look bad," Carina said. "You know, I understand how unfair this is to you, all of this, but it's like you haven't spared a thought to how unfair this is for me or to him, I don't even know if he has a partner like I do. And both of us have to give it all up for our people, why did I ever think you would understand!" Carina sighed, resigned. "You can't go around making things up just to have your way, Maya. You can't go around accusing him of something like that just because the situation doesn't suit you," Carina said. Maya was about to protest.