Chapter 74 - The Princess's Plot

After an indeterminate amount of time, the young girl suddenly caught a faint, subtle fragrance. She reached out her fingers and touched the pouch in her arms. Her eyes widened in surprise, and she then softly collapsed onto the ground, breathing lightly and unconscious.

Soon, a shadowy figure stealthily slipped in through a side door. Upon seeing her, he smirked lecherously and reached out to lift her.

Just as his fingers touched her waist, he felt a chill at his neck. Looking down, he saw that the young girl was holding a silver hairpin, the sharp end of which was pressed forcefully against his neck, almost drawing blood. The young man swallowed nervously.

"Please, spare me..." he stammered, "I was just hired to do a job..."

"Oh?" The young girl responded softly, tightening her grip on the hairpin and narrowing her eyes, "Who hired you?"

"Er..." The man hesitated, unwilling to answer.

She mercilessly pressed the pin further into his flesh, "Speak."

"It's... Princess Yimin!" Realizing that this delicate spot could bleed at any moment, he quickly answered.

So it was her... The young girl thought. Since she had acted so ruthlessly to ruin my reputation, she must have seen me meet with Yin Xu that day.

Just when things seemed to settle, new troubles arose.

The young girl sighed softly and said coldly, "Since you know she's Princess Yimin, you also understand that if this matter goes wrong and my reputation is ruined, you won't be able to escape unscathed... And it would be as easy for her to deal with you as crushing an ant."

The man took a deep breath and, upon reflecting on her words, realized she was right. Princess Yimin was not a kind-hearted noble; it wasn't easy to receive her silver.

"Now, I'm offering you a way out," seeing him soften, the young girl pressed on, "I'll give you some money to escape the capital and stay far away. This matter will no longer concern you."

Originally tempted by the promise of money, he now thought of Princess Yimin's methods and was reluctant to get entangled in such a complicated situation. He nodded quickly.

The young girl then took out two gold hairpins from her hair and handed them to him. She leaned closer, her tone subtly menacing.

"Don't think about using this to bite back at me... Go!"

Startled by her threatening demeanor, the man couldn't understand how this young girl had such an intimidating presence. He took the items and fled.

Ruan Yuluan's eyes swept past the half-open window and then withdrew. She rose from the prayer mat, walked to the side of the hall, and, with delicate movements, picked up the teapot from the table and went to the corner, where a bronze incense burner was emitting a faint wisp of smoke.

The scent was subtle.

She carefully extinguished the burning incense with the teapot, and as she stood up, she saw a slender figure entering the hall.

It was Princess Yimin, seemingly pleased with her own arrangements. Her pretty face was adorned with a faint smile. However, upon entering, she paused slightly.

The expected scene did not appear; the large hall only held the elegant figure of the young girl.

Princess Yimin's brows furrowed slightly, and she questioned, "You..."

"Why am I still fine?" Ruan Yuluan, having grasped her thoughts perfectly, responded softly, "Your Highness... Are you disappointed?"