Chapter 94 - Approaching

Concubine Xi's eyes flickered uncertainly. After a moment, she pressed her lips together and responded softly, "Thank you for your guidance, Fifth Miss."

The young woman glanced again at the girl's slightly naive yet unmistakably charming profile and couldn't help but softly sigh, "You are truly insightful... It's remarkable that such a thoughtful and meticulous young lady is only fifteen."

With such intelligence and beauty, she is sure to have a good life when she marries in the future.
Concubine Xi's scales of favor unconsciously tipped a little more in her direction.

As evening approached, Ruan Yuluan, fearing that staying in Yangliu Pavilion too long might raise suspicions in the main courtyard, decided to leave after a brief stay.

As she was leaving, Concubine Xi smiled and said, "Thank you for spending some time with me and talking. It helped pass the time." She specifically instructed Yingyue to wrap up some West Lake Longjing tea in oiled paper and have Yuluan take it home.

"Today, I saw you drink a few more sips. If Fifth Miss likes it, I can send more over. I have plenty here."

With a warm and friendly manner, she instructed her maid to see Ruan Yuluan out of Yangliu Pavilion.

Concubine Xi was always gentle with these young ladies, not easily making enemies. Her approachable attitude was thus beyond reproach.

A few days later, the girl heard that the master had moved many valuable decorations and jewelry from the front yard's storeroom into Yangliu Pavilion.

Upon further inquiry, she learned that Concubine Xi had cut ties with Madam Ji, sending her child, Ruan Shuli to the front yard, where he stayed in a small courtyard next to the master's study and being watched under the watchful eyes of the master's people. The wet nurse and maids were also relocated from the front yard to carefully serve the little brother alone.

The madam was deeply embarrassed by this and reportedly broke several teacups in private.
After all, Concubine Xi, being from her own courtyard, was now clearly drifting away from her. The child she had hoped to keep had also flown away.

To be personally raised by the master was such an honor. Even the favored Concubine Xu's eldest son had been raised by her.

Raising the child in the front yard not only showed the master's favor but, as the child grew, being close to the master and frequently accompanying him in meetings would give him a significant advantage, far better than the second legitimate son who could not support himself.

The master thought it was a good idea and praised Concubine Xi on the spot for her "insight and understanding of the bigger picture" and for not insisting on keeping his son by her side and letting him be influenced by the inner chamber.

In a moment of leniency, he even granted Concubine Xi the privilege to see her son four or five times a month when she had the chance.

Concubine Xi murmured "Amitabha" and put her worries aside. Now that the matter was settled, she secretly gifted Ruan Yuluan several pieces of gold and jade jewelry and a heavy coins purse as thanks.

Ruan Yuluan accepted the generous gift. Each day, she visited the main courtyard at the set times, and whenever the madam saw her, she would show a smile and greet her warmly, "Fifth girl Is here."

On the surface, the relationship appeared neither too distant nor too close, just right.
Recently, however, the madam had more troubles than just this. She was busy preparing for the third young lady's wedding and, in her spare time, also had to look into marriage prospects for Ruan Yuluan.

One day during a greeting visit, the madam appeared somewhat fatigued, holding a cup, her gaze sweeping over someone before she gathered herself again.

"...As a legitimate mother, this is what I should do!" The madam's voice carried a hint of sarcasm, implicitly criticizing, "After all, I handle all the major and minor affairs in this household... As long as everyone is well, even if I am a bit tired, it's nothing!"

Her words sounded pleasing, but the girl lowered her eyelashes, concealing the barely perceptible trace of irony in her eyes.