Chapter 57 - Persuading the Madam

When Ruan Yuluan arrived at the temple gate, she found that several people were already present. The madam's face was dark, and Ruan Yuxi had been scolded, her eyes swollen and red, looking quite aggrieved.

As they boarded the carriage back to the manor, Ruan Yuluan was lost in her own thoughts and didn't notice that Fourth Miss kept staring at her, letting out a soft hum.

"You must be envious of me," Ruan Yuxi said, lifting her wrist to show off the blood-jade bracelet. "This one of mine is far more expensive than your plain one."

It seemed she had finally found a point to vent her frustrations, her brows raised with a sense of relief.

"There's a saying that matches what you're wearing to who you are... People should recognize their own worth to move forward," she added with a sneer.

Unexpectedly, Ruan Yuxi used this phrase to mock Ruan Yuluan.

Third Miss, unable to tolerate her arrogance, rolled her eyes and turned her face away.

Ruan Yuluan, however, was not angered. She looked up at the girl's beaming face with a gentle tone.

"Indeed, such a fine thing is worthy of Fourth Sister. You have the favor of Fushan Wangfei," she said, her smile deepening. "Good days are still ahead."

After returning to the manor, the madam erupted in fury. As the head of the household, managing the inner chambers, the incident involving Fourth Miss was a direct challenge to her authority, and she could not remain calm.

Ruan Yuluan entered the flower hall and, as she passed the screen carved with landscapes, she saw the madam questioning the servants.

Carrying a food box, she walked forward slowly, her eyes sweeping over the maid on the ground before she greeted the madam with a smile.

"Good day to the madam."

Madam Ji, looking weary from questioning several people, showed signs of fatigue, having already questioned those who delivered messages for Fourth Miss and those who opened doors for her.

"Why are you here?" she asked with a hint of displeasure in her tone.

Understanding that her displeasure was not directed at herself, Ruan Yuluan smiled and spoke softly, "I heard the madam was upset today and didn't have lunch, so I brought some pastries for you. After you've eaten, you can continue questioning them."

She opened the food box to reveal several pastries: red bean cake, lantern-shaped cake, and date paste cake, all freshly made with a rich, sweet aroma.

Madam Ji's eyes softened slightly, and her expression relaxed a bit as she took a piece of pastry, finding it sweet and soft.

She then continued to question the maid who had delivered messages for Fourth Miss, lightly frowning.

"Do you remember that I am the mistress of this household, and yet, I had to go out of my way to deliver messages to Concubine Xu's mother and daughter? Traitors eating from our hands!"

The maid being questioned was Tonghua, who turned pale with fear and dared not make a sound, casting a pleading glance toward Ruan Yuluan.

"Take her out," the madam ordered. "Give her forty lashes! Do it right here in the courtyard so everyone can see!"

As the command was given, Tonghua trembled, her resolve crumbling. Ruan Yuluan, not in a hurry to speak, waited until Tonghua had been dragged away and given several lashes before showing a slight discomfort.

"Madam, I believe it would be better to forgive the maid," she suggested softly.

Madam Ji raised her eyebrows, asking, "Why?"

"Madam, you have always been kind and lenient," Ruan Yuluan explained. "Severe punishment of a maid might not only harm her but also tarnish your reputation."

Madam Ji's expression shifted, and she remained silent, her lips pressed together.

Seeing her softening, Ruan Yuluan continued, "Moreover, with Father just starting his official position in the capital, if our family gets a reputation for being harsh on servants, it could also affect him."

The argument was reasonable, and after a moment of contemplation, Madam Ji called out, "Stop!"

She looked outside and saw the maid's back covered in blood. Calming down, she instructed Liu Momo, "Find a doctor for her and get her some medicine."

Liu Momo quickly responded, "Yes."