Chapter 35 - The Relatives of the Concubine

At the hour of Xu, the young girl finished trimming the branches of osmanthus flowers she had picked, just right then she heard Qiu Xiu announce.
"Liu Momo is here."
She looked up to see the middle-aged woman entering, smiling as she approached and gave a courteous bow.
"Please, Liu Momo, have a seat," Ruan Yuluan said warmly, motioning for her to sit, while also instructing, "Dongchun, bring tea."
Dongchun outside responded, and Liu Momo's lips moved slightly, appearing puzzled. The young girl spoke gently, "Actually, there's something I feel a bit embarrassed about... I'd like to ask Liu Momo for a favor."
Since Fifth Miss had contributed to the matter regarding Yuping, Mama Liu had also been supportive where possible.
Seeing this, Liu Momo said, "Please, Miss, feel free to ask."
A hint of vague sadness appeared in the young girl's eyes. "Another Mid-Autumn Festival... Last year at this time, Mother was still here with me." She did not beat around the bush or try to elicit sympathy; a few sentimental words were enough, and more might have the opposite effect.
"A few days ago, I received a letter from my mother's family, along with some snacks..." Her fingertips lightly brushed over the oil-paper-wrapped pastries on the tea table as she sighed, "They aren't valuable, and they don't have much silver. The letter mentioned that my aunt had missed me and wanted to see me..."
"I was thinking since Mid-Autumn is a rare time for family reunions if I could meet my aunt... it might bring me some comfort."
Liu Momo's expression showed some hesitation.
For an unmarried girl to meet outsiders privately, even if they are from her mother's family... was indeed against the rules.
Her gaze fell on the young girl in front of her.
The young miss's face was lowered, her eyelashes fluttering lightly, her lips pressed together. Her soft, silky black hair was styled into a loose bun, with a few strands falling by her ear, accentuating the smooth, bright pearl earrings and giving her a strangely gentle and hazy appearance.
Liu Momo recalled the madam's previous hint about arranging a prestigious marriage for Fifth Miss...
She bit her lip slightly, a smile forming at the corner of her mouth as she said softly, "Fifth Miss has just lost concubine Lou; how could I be so unfeeling as to prevent you from seeing your mother's family?"
"It's Mid-Autumn, a time for family reunions..." Her voice grew softer and her tone more serious, "Rest assured."
Thus, Ruan Yuluan also smiled gently, handing the pastries and osmanthus to Liu Momo, and personally saw her out of the courtyard.
Watching Liu Momo's figure fade into the darkness, she then withdrew her gaze and turned back.
On the day of Mid-Autumn, the Ruan family's feast continued until the evening hour of Xu. The younger ladies yawned as they went to rest, while the master unusually stayed in the main courtyard. Knowing this was to give face to the legitimate wife, Concubine Xu had a faint smile on her face and showed no signs of displeasure.
Compared to the young Ruan Yuxi, her demeanor was much more composed.
Ruan Yuluan carried a lantern and walked along the garden path.
Although it seemed like she was heading to Guiyue Pavilion, she was not. After passing through an archway, she turned in a different direction towards the west wing.
The night was deep and autumn's chill was penetrating.
Qiu Xiu accompanied her, steady and dignified, while Dongchun, being younger, was still a bit unsettled.