Chapter 122 - Taking Over the Management as Expected

Yang Shi was so enraged that she nearly fainted, but luckily, a maid supported her, preventing her from collapsing to the ground.

She was breathing heavily, unable to speak for a moment due to her fury. Yuluan, casually fanning herself, spoke softly, her gaze calm. "Since it's an affair elder brother caused, and this lady claims to be carrying his child, we should call him over to find out the truth."

Yang Shi remained silent, perhaps holding onto a sliver of hope that when the eldest young master arrived, he would sternly reject this woman's claims and stand by her.

However, when the servants hurriedly brought the eldest young master over, the moment he saw the lady, he exclaimed in shock, "Chun Niang!" He rushed forward, helping her to her feet. Seeing her tear-streaked face, his heart ached. He turned coldly to Yang Shi and said, "What has Chun Niang done to offend you? Why are you humiliating her like this? Even if she said something to upset you, considering she is carrying my child, you shouldn't treat her so harshly!"

Yang Shi felt weak at the knees, barely able to stand with the help of several maids and servants. She had always prided herself on her strength and hated for others to see her household's misfortunes, but now it was too late—her dignity as the first wife had been thoroughly shattered today.

"Yin Xian!" Madam Yang gritted her teeth in disbelief. "How can you treat me like this? We grew up together, and since we married, we've always lived harmoniously. You once promised you'd never take a concubine..."

Before she could finish, Yin Xian impatiently cut her off with a sharp voice, "Don't you dare blame me! Look at yourself—have you been a good wife? We've been married five years, and you've borne no children, which is reason enough for me to divorce you! You're jealous and possessive—every time I speak with a maid, you sulk. Chun Niang is someone I keep outside, and it doesn't concern you. Do you really have to be so intolerant?"

Today, Yin Xian was ready to lay all the dirty laundry of their marriage out in the open. Those present exchanged glances, some feeling pity for Yang Shi, while others found the situation entertaining.

It was clear that the day wouldn't end well. Yang Shi pointed a trembling finger at the two of them, her lips quivering, but no words came out.

"You..."

Suddenly, her eyes rolled back, and she fainted. The servants hurriedly called out, "Madam, Madam!"

The Duchess watching the scene, felt distressed. What should have been a pleasant birthday celebration had turned into a spectacle with the eldest couple's public dispute.

She sternly ordered Yang Shi to be carried back, while Chun Niang was left to the care of the eldest young master. No longer in the mood to entertain, the guests dispersed early.

After this incident, it was said that when Yang Shi awoke and heard that Chun Niang had been raised to the position of concubine, she was so enraged that she vomited blood. Her temperament changed drastically.

She decided to step back from managing the household and focused solely on mending her relationship with the eldest young master, hoping to conceive soon. If Chun Niang gave birth to a son, it would be difficult for her to maintain her position in the family.

Yuluan seized this opportunity, forging an alliance with Zhang Bao's wife. Under the pretense that Liu Chen's wife had been "negligent in her duties and guilty of embezzlement," she relieved her of her responsibilities and reassigned her to manage the estate's gardens and plants. Though still a steward, the difference between managing gold and silver utensils and overseeing gardening was vast.

Naturally, Liu Chen's wife was unwilling to accept this and sent word to Yang Shi several times, hoping for her support. But with Yang Shi overwhelmed by her own troubles, all she could offer were reassurances to wait for a better opportunity.

Soon after, Yuluan appointed the position to a trusted stewardess sent by Aunt Lou. This stewardess, surname Yu, was efficient and compliant, swiftly completing tasks to Yu Luan's satisfaction.

With the help of these two stewards, Yuluan gradually took over the household management with ease.

On the second day of the month, she received an invitation delivered by Ruan Yuxi's servant.

Holding a sheet of letter paper between her orange-polished fingertips, Yu Luan casually glanced at it. The invitation was penned by her fourth sister herself, full of self-satisfaction, the handwriting bold and flamboyant, inviting her to come without fail. It mentioned showing her around the prince's estate and its gardens to broaden her horizons.