Chapter 52 - Delivering the Message

In Ruan Yuluan's smile, there was a hint of worry.

In her past life, at this time, she and Ruan Yuxi would have been arranged by the madam to meet with Fushan Wang. Now, although she had delayed this event by using her injury and Ruan Yuxi's confinement as excuses, she knew it was not something she could put off indefinitely.

By June, Ruan Yuluan's facial injuries had completely healed. When she next went to pay her respects, the madam looked at her profile with a critical eye, then smiled faintly, seemingly with a touch of relief.

"Yuluan's injury has healed, so I'm relieved."

She said this as she picked up a warm teacup, taking a gentle sip before bringing up another matter.

"In a few days, there will be a temple fair. There have been so many disturbances in the family recently; it's likely we've offended someone. How about this opportunity to visit the Huguo Temple to offer incense and pray for blessings? You and Third Miss can accompany me."

The Huguo Temple was renowned for its prosperity and was said to be effective in granting wishes.

The two young mistresses promptly agreed.

However, Ruan Yuluan's heart fluttered at this unexpected arrangement.

As she sat down, she caught a glimpse of the dissatisfaction and jealousy flickering in the eyes of Concubine Xu, who was seated opposite her.

Holding her teacup, she lowered her eyelashes, already formulating a plan in her mind.

That evening, she sent Qiu Xiu to fetch a maid from the kitchen. The maid's name was Tong Hua, a young girl with a clever and lively demeanor. She was Qiu Xiu's fellow villager and adopted younger sister.

"Greet Fifth Miss." Tong Hua entered and bowed crisply.

Ruan Yuluan appreciated such perceptive maids. After asking her to rise, she smiled and pointed to the two kinds of pastries on the small tea table. "Qiu Xiu mentioned that these pastries were prepared by you?"

A plate of candied plums and a plate of lotus leaf pastries, both light and appetizing.

"Yes," Tong Hua said with a smile, explaining confidently, "I heard Fifth Miss had a poor appetite today, so I thought the hot summer might be the cause. I specially prepared these light and non-greasy pastries to help stimulate your appetite."

"You did well." The young girl took a piece and savored it, then said thoughtfully, "There is a small favor I need to ask of you."

Tong Hua, being clear-headed, immediately said, "Whatever Fifth Miss needs, it is my duty to assist."

Seeing her so cooperative, Ruan Yuluan lightly furrowed her brows and explained slowly.

"The madam said that in a few days, she will take me and the Third Miss to Huguo Temple to offer incense. I'm concerned that we might be meeting some distinguished guests. You know Fourth Miss's temper... if she is unable to attend and show her face, she is likely to be quite upset."

In this subtly veiled speech, Ruan Yuluan conveyed her purpose half openly.

Tong Hua pondered for a while, then raised her head with a gleam of understanding in her eyes.

"I understand."

When Tong Hua quietly left, she carried with her a heavy purse containing ten taels of silver, a reward from Ruan Yuluan.

Dong Chun felt a pang of sympathy. "Miss, you've given too much... Managing the household requires a lot of money; you should save a bit."

Since the death of Concubine Lou, the two had been living a frugal life, relying on each other. Dong Chun was anxious about money, but Ruan Yuluan merely smiled faintly.

"There are some things where one cannot be too frugal. Spending money ensures that the task is done properly."

Unlike Ruan Yuxi, who was stingy even in buying people's loyalty by giving away unwanted jewelry, Ruan Yuluan preferred cash rewards. Jewelry could easily draw attention if sold off, and its value might raise suspicions. Cash, however, was simple and inconspicuous, and if the recipient turned against her, she could still withdraw without much trouble.