Chapter 1 - The worse beginning

Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire were clever children, with pleasant facial features and a knack for inventing, researching and cooking. They had two perfectly alive parents, a perfect house and a perfect life. When they woke up that chilly autumn morning, they didn't expect anything to change.

After changing into clean, fresh clothes they went downstairs, three sets of footsteps thundering down the wooden staircase. Smiles on their faces, all three children walked into the kitchen. Like most rooms in their house, the kitchen had a polished slate floor, dark shiny wooden furniture and big oak beams crossing the ceiling. Sunny shivered slightly as her bare feet reached the cold floor once Violet set her down.

Klaus craned his neck, adjusting his glasses. "Mother? Father?" He called out, glancing at Violet. Their parents, Beatrice and Bertrand, were always in the kitchen. They heard hushed, urgent murmers coming from the living room, and the children walked into it, opening the heavy door.

"Mother? Father?" Violet said, quietly, and Beatrice and Bertrand looked over at the children. Beatrice's usually flawless hair was slightly messy, and Bertrand's glasses were askew. Something was wrong. Klaus and Violet shared another look, when she spoke up. "I-is anything wrong?"
Bertrand looked at the three, then at Beatrice and sighed "We have to leave."