Chapter 6 - The jail room

The air felt heavy, the smell of decay lingering in the corners. The room was unlike any the Baudelaire children had ever been in, with the dank atmosphere, tiny, barred windows and the heavy metal door but the most unfamiliar part was the chains.

The clunky, metal chains which unfortunately was attached to the Baudelaires wrists, as they lay unconscious in the room. It was only small, the ceiling low so it was just a box of melancholy.

Violet woke first, her eyelids flickering open, and her eyes adjusted to the darkness. She sat bolt upright, only for her wrists to be yanked back by the chains. She gasped slightly as the metal dug into her skin, and she shut her eyes against the pain, gritting her teeth.

"Klaus?" Violet hesitated, looking around the room, incase anything else lurked in the unfriendly shadows. "Klaus?!" She hissed, this time louder, and she felt him shift beside her.

"What?" came his weary voice, before she saw his dark silhouette sit up quickly before she could warn him about the chains, and he also winced as they squeezed his wrists.
"W-where are we?!" he questioned, and Sunny made a noise.
"Prusnen!" By that, she probably meant: 'prison', and if she did, she was right.

Slowly, making sure her wrists wouldn't be hurt any more by the chains, Violet stood up. Her hair fell across her face, as she awkwardly half crouched. She lifted her hands, running them across the walls until she reached the door.
"Klaus, I think there's a handle there, I can't reach it-"

Klaus followed her movement, half sitting uncomfortable as he shuffled over to where Violet's voice was. He lifted his arm slowly, until he felt the cool, smooth metal handle slip into his hand. Forcefully, he tried to open it. It was locked, and he glanced at where Violet was.
"Try.. again?" She suggested, her voice as weak as the idea.

But nonetheless, he rattled the handle, and they both shouted until their voices were hoarse, until they had cried all their tears, and hopelessly sat back down.

And they say in the darkness, wrists raw from the chains, stomachs rumbling. Even Sunny was so hungry all she could cry was a few pitiful wimpers as Klaus hugged her desperately.

Suddenly, the door rattled from the outside, and the door opened, slight streaming in like a waterfall of startling brightness.