Chapter 9 - I'm sure the tea isn't poisoned

Adrianna dropped her hood to her shoulders. Violet and Klaus looked at her, surprised. The face under the hood, was a girl, not too much older than Violet, with short dark hair and pointed features. She had deep green eyes, the colour of summer leaves starting to fall.

"Baudelaires. I have been ordered to take you three to your new quaters. Up, come on." She said, her voice authoritative, as she unlocked Klaus and Sunny's wrist chains.

Klaus stood, picking up Sunny as he rubbed his sore wrists. He looked nervously at Violet and she tried to give him her best reassuring smile.
"Don't just stand there, Come On!" Adrianna snapped impatiently. She walked out of the jail room, turning to look at them. She rolled her eyes as the Baudelaires followed.

They walked in silence until they got to a door, and Adrianna opened it, stepping into the room. It had bookshelves, with rows and rows of all different coloured books, a desk, with strange metal objects and wires and pliers and anything Violet could have hoped for as an inventing studio. And for Sunny, there was a tiny sized oven for her to practice cooking small dishes, with ingredients around it.

All three children gasped slightly. Why was it so nice? The three beds were made, with silk covers and big cushions and Klaus was happy with his books, Violet's mind already started putting together the metal parts, making it into some sort of invention. Sunny was already asleep in Klaus' arms, and he set her down on the bed. He looked back at Adrianna, who looked expectantly at them.
"So? Do you like it?"

Violet smiled quickly.
"Of course! This is amazing, thank you."
As Adrianna left, Klaus gave her a quizzical look through the corner of his glasses.
"We're supposed to be trying to escape, not thank our captors?"
Violet shook her head.
"And go where? We don't know what we'd find if we got out of this building, and plus, I'm sure our parents will come to rescue us! But for not we should stay put, look at all your books!"

As they looked around the well furnished room, they saw a plate of small sandwiches on the desk, aswell as two cups of steaming hot tea. As soon as Violet and Klaus saw it, they remembered how hungry they were, the feeling pushed away by their anxiety.
Smiling, Violet walked over to it.

"How considerate.." she picked up the tea, and took a sip. Klaus looked at her, the creeping sense of unease now clutching at him, wrapping around his thoughts.
"Violet, what if it's poisoned?"
She laughed, a tired sound.
"Klaus, I'm sure it's not. Why would they bring us here just so they could kill us?"

He felt anger prickling at his mind.
"Because they're physcopathic!! Don't forget it!"
Violet was surprised by his sudden outburst, her protectiveness for him and Sunny flooding her body.

"Klaus! I'm trying everything as best as I can, and for now we seem to be safe! Please. It's going to be okay. Whatever happens, I will keep you and Sunny safe."
Tears started to well up in her eyes, the lights around the room turning into hazy, sparkly stars.

She put down her tea, and wrapped Klaus up in a hug. She felt his arms on her back, a light weight pressing against her clothes. She stepped back and he gave her a shaky smile, picking up the tea. He raised it to his lips and took a tentative sip. It was warm, and sweet. It tasted nice.

Slowly, he felt more and more relaxed, until the comfy looking beds seemed to call for him. As if Violet was thinking the exact same thing, which she was, she checked the clock ticking away above the door. It was getting late, and she was also tired. She looked back over at Klaus.
"We should probably go to sleep now."

He nodded, and they both unfolded the silky duvets on their beds. After clambering in, sinking into the pillows, Violet and Klaus looked at eachother across the beds.
They fell asleep within seconds.

A knock woke them both up, Klaus sitting up straight, his face pale. He was shaking slightly, his dreams that came to him in his sleep were troubling ones. Violet however, sat up sleepily, rubbing her eyes.

The Woman with hair but no beard opened their door, and Klaus froze, edging closer and closer to the wall. Violet couldn't help but shudder, and she smiled sharply.

"Violet? May I talk to you?" Violet stood up slowly, and walked over to the door, her hands trembling. She glanced back at Klaus as the Woman with hair but no beard smiled again and shut the door behind them.

They walked to the same library-offixe as yesterday, the Man with a beard but no hair sitting again at his desk. Adrianna stood hooded behind him like a guard carved from stone.

"Good morning" he stated, and Violet sat down as he motioned with his papery, pallid hands. The Woman with hair but no beard stood behind him, and she carried on speaking.
"Have you thought of the little proposal we brought up yesterday?" She enquired, and Violet switched her gaze onto those red, red glasses.
"I.. I have."