23 : THE KISS.

They stayed in the embrace, Taehyung's grip around Jungkook's waist firm, as though he was holding on for dear life, terrified of letting him go. Even though he had walked away from Jungkook for those four long months—or rather, almost five—now that he had him back in his arms, he couldn't bear the thought of losing him again. Fear lingered in his heart, the fear that if he let go, Jungkook would slip away. Jungkook was his breath, his lifeline, and Taehyung had been away from that life source for exactly 4 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 1 hour, 30 minutes, and 4 seconds.

Not a day had passed without him checking in, calling Namjoon-hyung to ask about Jungkook. Yet, despite the countless times Namjoon had insisted on telling Jungkook the truth, Taehyung had forbidden it. He wasn't ready for Jungkook to know, not yet. It was his personal struggle, a battle he had to fight alone. He needed time to resolve his own problems, and even though it crushed him not to talk to Jungkook, he believed it was necessary to shield him from his misery.

Now, though, as he stood there, holding onto the one person he thought he could protect by staying away, Taehyung realized that nothing mattered more than this moment, than having Jungkook close.

Taehyung wanted to laugh freely with Jungkook, to sing with him, to cry openly. But no, he couldn't do that. It wasn't something that suited his personality, and above all, he knew he would have to leave Jungkook eventually. Jungkook was an essential part of his life, but he couldn't allow himself to be even a small part of Jungkook's. Jungkook deserved better, much better than what Taehyung could give. But if that was the case, then why couldn't he bring himself to push Jungkook away? Why couldn't he let him go? What was holding him back?

And what about Sophie?

No, Taehyung knew deep down that he had to let Jungkook go. It would hurt a little, but eventually, Jungkook would move on. He would heal. But for now, Taehyung wasn't ready to let him leave. Not yet. For now, Jungkook wouldn't go anywhere. He would stay by Kim Taehyung's side, and Taehyung would stay with him. For now, they would be together. That was all that mattered, at least for this moment.

"You told me not to regret it, but..." Jungkook's voice stumbled, a hesitant pause. It was as if he was caught between the fear of Taehyung's reaction and the overwhelming need to let out what he had been holding inside for so long. Taehyung's grip around his waist tightened, so firm that a soft hiss of pain escaped Jungkook's lips. But he didn't pull away. He ignored the ache and pressed on, the words feeling like they would suffocate him if he didn't say them.

"I... I regret that night," Jungkook's voice trembled, the confession finally slipping out, raw and painful.

"Don't, Jungkook. Don't," Taehyung's voice immediately grew louder. His eyes grew colder, his jaw clenched as he fought to keep his emotions to himself. "Tell me you don't regret it. Say it!" His voice was louder now, more forceful, laced with something desperate, something that bordered on fear. He needed to hear Jungkook say the opposite.

Jungkook squeezed his eyes shut, the intensity of Taehyung's words crashing into him. He could feel the coldness in Taehyung's stare, the way the air between them seemed to freeze. His heart pounded against his chest, a painful rhythm that echoed in the silence that followed.

"Say it!" Taehyung shouted, his voice trembling with intensity, yet his arms still wrapped tightly around Jungkook.

"I'm regretting," Jungkook whispered, his voice breaking as tears streamed down his face, unstoppable. Taehyung's hands, which had been gripping Jungkook's waist so tightly just moments ago, suddenly went slack, weak. His breath hitched in his throat, and for a moment, it felt as if he had forgotten how to breathe. His fingers barely felt alive anymore, as if all the strength had been drained from his body.