Mind Map

[Joy and Sadness have made it across Goofball Island and must now walk across the thin lightline. Below is the darkness of the Memory Dump.]

Sadness: We're gonna walk out there? On that?

Joy: It's the quickest way back.

Sadness: But it's right over the Memory Dump. If we fall, we'll be forgotten forever!

Joy: We have to do this. For Riley. Just follow my footsteps.

Sadness: Hohh... ok.

Joy: (stepping onto lightline) It's not that high. It's totally fiii... Whoa...

[She loses her balance. Almost drops a memory over the side. Sadness steps out onto the lightline. They inch along.]

LATER Dad knocks on Riley's door, peeks in.

Mr. Andersen: Hey.

Riley's in her sleeping bag. She doesn't answer.

Mr. Andersen: So uh, things got a little out of hand downstairs. You want to talk about it? (still no answer) Come on. Where's my happy girl? Monkey. (he tries monkey noises)

He's trying to start up Goofball.

Fear looks at the empty Core Memory Holder, then out the window: GOOFBALL ISLAND is dark and silent.

Mr. Andersen:: Come on. (tries more monkey noises)

Riley looks at Dad, but TURNS AWAY.

[Goofball Island crumbles and breaks. Joy sees the lightline breaking ahead.]

Joy: Ahhh! Go back! RUN! RUN! RUN!

[They run back onto Goofball Island as the lightline crumbles. Joy and Sadness frantically outrun collapsing debris. They leap across the buckling bridge, making it over to the cliff just in time to see Goofball Island fall into the dump.]

Joy: What--?

[Joy watches it sink.]

Mr. Andersen: I get it, you need some alone time. We'll talk later.

The Emotions stare out the back window in disbelief.

Disgust: We have a major problem.

Fear: Ohh, Joy where are you?

(Joy watches, still in shock.)

Sadness: Oh, we lost Goofball Island. That means she can lose Friendship, and Hockey, and Honesty, and Family...! You can fix this, Right?

Joy: I-I...ah... I don't know. But we have to try. OK, come on.

[The sky darkens]

Joy: Riley's gone to sleep. Which is a good thing... When you think about it, because nothing else bad can happen while she's asleep. We'll be back to Headquarters before she wakes up. We'll just go across Friendship Island.

[Shelves jut out over the cliff edge, making Friendship Island inaccessible.]

Sadness: We'll never make it, hoh... nooo...

Joy: No, no, no, don't obsess over the weight of life's problems! Remember the funny movie where the dog dies?!

[Sadness face plants.]

Joy: Sadness, we don't have time for this.

[She looks to her side. Memory shelves wind into the distance. Joy heads off into the maze.]

Joy: We'll just have to go around! Take the scenic route.

Sadness: Wait! Joy, you could get lost in there!

Joy: Think positive!

Sadness: Okay. I'm positive you will get lost in there. That's Long-Term Memory. An endless warren of corridors and shelves. I read about it in the manuals.

Joy: The manuals? The manuals! You read the manuals!

Sadness: Yeah...

Joy: So you know the way back to headquarters!

Sadness: I, guess...

Joy: You are my map! Let's go! Lead on, Mind Map! Show me where we're going!

Sadness: Okay! Only, I'm too sad to walk. Just give me a few... hours.

[Joy grabs Sadness' leg and DRAGS her into the shelves.]

Joy: Which way? Left?

Sadness: Right. (Joy turns right) No. I mean, go left. I said left was right, like "correct."

Joy: Okay.

Sadness: This actually feels kind of nice.

[Joy heads off into the COMPLICATED LABYRINTH ahead of them.]

Joy: Okay! Here we go. We'll be back to Headquarters before morning. We can do it. This'll be easy. This is working!

[Hours later]

Joy: [exhausted] This is not working. Are we getting close?

Sadness: Yeah. Just another right. And a left. Then another left, and a right...

Joy: Are you sure you know where we're going? Because we seem to be walking AWAY from Headquarters.

[The SKY BRIGHTENS]

Joy: Riley's awake.

[Even though she is still exhausted, the core memories begin to drop. Sadness reaches to grab it.]

Joy: Ah ah ah, don't touch, Sadness, you know that. remember? If you touch them, they stay sad!

Sadness: Oh. Sorry. I know. I know. I won't... ..starting now.

[Joy looks behind her. The bottom row of memories are BLUE.]

Joy: [defeated] I can't take much more of this.

Male Forgetter: (O.S.) Forget 'em!

Joy: Mind Workers!

[Joy runs off toward the voice.]

Sadness: But Joy, we're almost... ohhhh.