6. Mess

Ben coughed and spluttered, rolling over onto his hands and knees and vomiting on the floor.

"Great," Jeff hissed above him.

Ben panted and raised his head to look up at the man. His face was twisted with rage and dark red blood dripped down his face from three deep scratches.

"Clean this shit up. I'm going out for a while." He stomped away to grab his cigarettes and halted when he saw the polaroid on the floor, bending over to pick it up and slip it into his back pocket.

Ben felt too exhausted to do anything but watch through half-lidded eyes, blinking slowly. His face burned with pain that seared his lips and nose and he stood up shakily.

Jeff walked up to Ben and looked down on him. "If you haven't cleaned up by the time I get back," he leaned in close, a rough hand snatching his shoulder forward. "I'll pour hot wax into your eye sockets," he seethed through clenched teeth, then shoved Ben to the side. He reached up to unlock each of the high latches and then opened the door.

Dull sunlight spilled into the dark room and over Ben's legs. The air outside was cool and smelled crisp like fall. It was morning time. Outside... I want to go outside! He lunged forward and Jeff grabbed him easily by his arm.

"Are you serious?" he growled. "Get back in there. I'll be back later." He threw Ben back into the room and onto the floor, shutting and locking the door behind him as he left, boots thudding on the old porch outside.

Ben got up slowly and pressed his palms to the door, his ears and tail drooping. He sniffled once, and then streams of hot tears fell down his face. "Please don't leave again," he whispered through a small sob, remembering how long he'd been left alone the first time. A pit of loneliness opened up inside of him and spread like a dark, depressing wave. He just beat me and I still want him to come back so badly. I don't want to be all alone here.

Ben turned around, his fur spiked up in fear. The dead body that Jeff had taunted him with still lay far away on the floor and he had to shut his eyes quickly, terrified of the way the milky eyes stared at him from across the room. Then he turned his head down to where he'd vomited on the floor.

He wants it cleaned up before he gets back, Ben thought with an irritated lash of his blonde tail. As if he's not the one who caused it.

Even so, he wandered around the house to look for anything he could use to clean. It wasn't a big house by any means. The kitchen and bathroom were two tiny rooms of their own, and Ben soon found a roll of paper towels near the kitchen sink that he used to wipe up the black vomit from the floor, then wetting a few clean paper towels to get up anything he missed. He then made his way back to the bathroom, a small space with just a toilet, sink, and a tub that he saw was full of bones, bloodstained and with pieces of flesh still clinging to some. The smell made his eyes water and he turned away from it, taking a deep breath and looking into the mirror above the sink. His bottom lip was busted and his nose was bruised. The black leather collar locked around his neck was scratched up from where he'd tried to pry it off before. Maybe I can find something to cut this rope off... it's really annoying. His face was wet and puffy from crying so much and his long, wavy hair looked tangled.

Ben washed his face, the water cool and refreshing on his skin, and drank from the faucet in fast, thirsty gulps. When he'd finished cleaning himself up, Ben threw off the clothes he'd been given and rummaged through Jeff's piles of clothes on the floor until he found a simple black T-shirt to throw on and some grey boxers that were just slightly too big. The clothes smelled like Jeff and, hesitantly, he lifted the shirt he wore and buried his face into it, oddly comforted by the scent of his kidnapper: bitter cigarettes, pine, and some sort of stale smelling cologne covering the feint scent of death underneath. His ears fell as a little of his anxiety ebbed away. The smell was so nice, it was too bad he couldn't enjoy it from the source without getting his face smashed in.