26 | A Mindless Act ***

There weren't any more warnings for quite a long time, so I thought I might add one on this one, so please watch out for the violence in this chapter.

She loved him a lot.
She loved him passionately.
She loved him to madness...

Love was aching on Persephone—heartbeats of thoughts whom Hades haunted.

As tears collected into the empty upper chambers of her heart, memories of Hades as Leander slowly pumped into her dreams. Back at the Hellespont's tower, where she was just nobody's Hero but an inebriated mortal woman who dragged the tall and unknown Leander through kisses and kisses into her bed.

Her invitation paralysed his legs on the spot, and he stood there with his face bathed in the darkness and the moonlight shining over his torso. She remembered his trembling fingers hesitating on removing his toga in front of her while she rushed in to help him, only to discover the many scars covering his body.

Her mouth fell open.

An incredulous stare overtook her.

With a grunt, he shook his head and put his clothes back on, but she gripped his arm. Turning him back to face her, she then undressed his body again, only to put a kiss over one of his scars, the one closest to his heart.

"You're beautiful, Leander." At this moment, Hero smiled as she could see haloes of tears glistening at the bottom of his eyelids before they kissed again.

She was living again in the reminiscence of this kiss—that moment where she unknowingly healed his image from his mind. When their lips parted way, their bodies should have merged into a maelstrom of desires, but not this time. Hades only held her tighter against him, with a whisper slipping into her ear.

"Run, Persephone, go back to your mother now because I won't be able to protect you from him!"

His shaking voice echoed into her mind until he became just the smoke of an ephemeral instant as she woke up in jolt within the four walls of their Underworld chamber.

The window never seemed so distant; the door was endlessly escaping from her grasp while the mirror and the golden harp kept on backing away from her. Grimacing, Persephone found herself safe and sound but entombed alone in that frighteningly immense bed of theirs—that bedroom had never seemed that huge for her than now.

When will Hades ever come back?

"I wonder what he really sees in you."

This cruel remark truly woke Persephone up from her dreams. With a loud gasp for air, she peeled back her eyelids in this moment, only to see Thanatos.

In this light-lit room where the glowing sun didn't exist, his shade still attracted all the attention. To his black aura, the colour of mourning, the tint of his armour, whom only an iron heart inhabited within, Thanatos caused hair to lift on Persephone's nape.

She hadn't forgotten who he was and what he came to claim from her in the absence of Hades.

A sudden rock dropped into the pit of her stomach in his presence, and yet Thanatos was only sitting in Hades' chair near the fireplace. Dagger in hand with its tip used to pick on his finger's nail, he clicked his tongue at her while staring her down from head to toe with his icy blue eyes. Wherever they lay, she felt like a blade over her body. A small, flat, cold piece of metal with a very sharp edge to peel off her first layer of skin and reveal her weakness.

But she wouldn't give him this satisfaction.

Leaping out of her bed, still in her armour, Persephone tossed her blanket in his face before shoving her sword at his throat. When the piece of fabric fell off his head, Thanatos saw her in a battle stance, pushing the edge of her weapon deeper against the thick artery of his neck.