ꜰᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ: ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴀʟʟᴏᴜᴛ

"Mom, dad!" You say, throwing your arms around your parents.

They leaned into your touch, unable to return your embrace due to the handcuffs that retrained their hands behind their backs. You pulled away to look at their faces.

"Volumnia, please, she had nothing to do with this." Your father said, glancing behind you at the game maker.

"What is going on? I don't understand." You tell your parents, begging for them to give you any sort of answer as to why you they were being held in this prison cell.

A spine-chilling snicker rumbles in Dr. Gaul's throat, watching you interact with your parents. "Mommy and daddy haven't told you that they helped correlate that attack on the arena so they could ruin my games?"

"What?" You whisper, glancing at her then back to your parents. "You didn't-"

You wanted to deny it so much, but the looks on their faces told you that it was true. Your parents who you had loved and trusted above all else your whole life had done something so terrible. The shock and horror of the revelation made your blood run cold. Your heart pounded in your chest and you felt a wave of nausea roll through your stomach.

"Why?" You asked, your voice shaky. "Those bombs they killed some of my classmates, the tributes-"

Your father shook his head before cutting you off mid sentence. "[Y/N] those aren't your classmates. Not really. They're all Capitol at the end of the day that want nothing more than to have our people wiped off the planet. They're just going to keep hosting these games to taunt us by killing our children and remind us that we're forever beneath them."

"Those were someone's children too, dad! Not only did you kill some academy students, but you also killed a few of the tributes!"

"Better them than my child and hundreds of more in the future."

You didn't say anything, your mouth opened to speak but no words would come out. You understood where your father was coming from. However, you could not even comprehend why he was justifying allowing other people's children to die in your place. That was not the man you knew your whole life.

You gaze fixated towards your mom who said nothing while keeping her eyes low. It was clear that she agreed with your father without saying a single word.

"Your parents and the rest of the known rebels from the districts involved are to be hung as punishment. You may bid your farewells, [Y/N]."

Your eyes widened at Dean Highbottom's voice telling you this. "No, please."

You threw your arms around your parents and held them tightly, unwilling to let go. Your body trembled with the force of your sobs. Tears streamed down your face as you desperately attempted to memorize the feeling of their warmth. The thought of losing them forever was too much for you to bear.

A peacekeeper grabbed you by the arm, taking you away. You struggled against his grasp, reaching out for your parents.

"We love you sweetheart." Your mom tells you between her own cries.

"You'll bring peace to the world one day, [Y/N]." Your father says to you quietly.

The crushing weight of their impending execution had you struggling to speak. You barely managed to get an 'I love you too' out before you were escorted out.

The Peacekeeper kept his hand on your arm. He leaned down to you, whispering a quiet 'I'm sorry' in your ear.

Dr. Gaul scowled at you as she adjusted her bright red latex gloves. "Don't think I'm not on to you too, little girl." She says this with such venom in her voice that it nearly makes you cry even harder.