Chapter Nine

~IVY~

Removing my earpods and putting them back in my handbag, I stop walking. This is it. I am standing in front of it: the Lauder's house, 14th down Cornelia Street.

My hands start shaking and soon enough my heart joins them, my heartbeat faster and faster. I try my best to avoid shivering, squeezing my hands together as hard as I can. I take a few deep breaths to calm down my heartbeat. And finally feeling ready, I step towards the entrance door. The beach house is everything like the others, the facade is very similar to all the other houses in town. From the outside, all looks beautiful, all looks okay. The gorgeous facade of the house, I can tell, hides deeper and darker secrets, secrets linked to Gavin's disappearance.

'Time is precious, Ivy, hurry up!'my inner self cuts me in.

I show my fist to the door, before finally knocking.

"Coming!"a scream comes from the inside of the house. I hear loud steps approaching, then notice a silhouette forming at the other side of the blurry glass windows of the door. I recognize this silhouette as a woman, surely Gavin's mom. As the door finally opens, my look wanders on her blond hair. They have the same shade, the exact same shade as Gavin, this blonde-brown color, this magnificent shading. And these eyes, they seem to be the same as her son, the same deepness, the same light in them.

"You must be Ivy", she brings me back to reality.

"Yes", I nod, "I came the fastest I could."

"You were very quick", Gavin's mom gives me a small smile as if to reassure me.

She invites me in and without another word, I enter. As soon as I step in, the impressive size of the room and the beauty of the modern decoration hit me. The room, as large as it is, gathers living-room, dining room and open plan-kitchen. The metal stairs leading upstairs contrast with the white walls; and the thin wood sticks separation between the kitchen and dining room gives color to the neutral ensemble.

"So, you must have understood already", the woman says, "I'm Gavin's mom. You can call me Elena."

I nod silently, muted by the beauty of the decorations, staying quiet in case the house would murmur to me all the secrets hidden and help me to find Gavin.

"Sit down, please, darling", she points to a chair across from her.

She has already sat at the table, waiting for me to continue speaking.

I silently pull the chair out and sit down. Because Elena stays immobile and quiet, I take the floor:

"Could I interview you?"

"Of course", she half-smiles.

I bend down to unzip my bag. I then take my notebook, pen and phone out.

I click on the back of the pen, getting ready to take notes on whatever important information Elena gives me. After unlocking my phone, I click on the red button to record on the app Voice Memos. This will do for now.

{I found this website that transcribes any audio in words. So, not to waste any time, I used it for these interviews. This explains any typo or misheard.}

☆ INTERVIEW WITH GAVIN'S MOM☆

IVY-OK, so I'm recording on my phone just to be able to listen later if needed, to have all the information.

ELENA(Gavin's mom)- Yes it's OK. Thank you so much again, sweetie. You must mean a lot to Gavin, you're his only friend who seems to care.

IVY- What do you mean by that? None of his friends came up to you?