Chapter Two - The Break-Up

(redid this one on purpose)

The sun is beginning to set as the sky bathes in a golden-orange hue. Goku, glowing with the energy of a fresh battle, descends to Earth from Beerus' planet after a long day of intense sparring. His gi is scuffed, his muscles tense yet relaxed from the thrilling match with Vegita. After saying his goodbyes, he flies toward his home. He carries a look of satisfaction, eager to rest and share his excitement with his family. As he touches down near his home, something feels off. The air is heavy, not with battle, but with tension. He notices the door to his house slightly ajar, and his senses pick up ChiChi's erratic energy within.

[Goku] *Man, what a fight! Vegita really knows how to push me... But something feels strange. ChiChi...*

He walks through the front door, his lighthearted smile fading as he senses ChiChi standing in the living room. Her posture is rigid, arms crossed, her face strained with a look he rarely sees. She isn't her usual fiery self. There's no yelling, no immediate lecture about spending too much time training or fighting. Instead, her eyes are tired, swollen as if she's been crying for hours.

[Goku] ChiChi? I'm home! You won't believe it—I just had the most amazing sparring match with Vegita, she's something else! I was gonna—

ChiChi's cold, almost whispering voice cuts him off.

[ChiChi] Goku... We need to talk.

Goku freezes mid-sentence, his smile faltering as the weight of her words sinks in. The casual joy in his eyes dulls, and for the first time in a while, Goku feels a pit forming in his stomach.

[Goku] (nervous, hesitant) Uh... Talk? Is something wrong? Did... something happen?

ChiChi's hands tremble slightly as she grips the sides of her dress, her voice shaking but determined.

[ChiChi] Goku... I can't do this anymore.

Goku's brows furrowed in confusion, his heart beating a little faster.

[Goku] Can't do... what? Is this about me being away? I know I've been gone a lot lately, but I've been training hard to protect everyone! You know that, ChiChi, right? I do this for us, for the family!

ChiChi shakes her head slowly, a single tear rolling down her cheek.

[ChiChi] No, Goku... That's the problem. You're never here. You're never really here.

Goku's confusion grows. He scratches the back of his head, trying to understand.

[Goku] Never here? But I come home every time! I'm here now, aren't I? I thought you understood why I have to train. I'm getting stronger so I can keep you and Goten safe!

ChiChi's voice rises slightly, frustration cutting through her sadness.

[ChiChi] Safe?! Safe from what, Goku? How many times have we almost lost everything because of some enemy or your need to fight? I'm tired! I'm tired of living in fear, tired of raising Goten alone, tired of pretending that this life you've chosen is enough for me! Goku... I... I can't keep being your second priority.

Her words hit Goku like a punch to the gut. He steps forward, his hand outstretched, desperate to find the right words.

[Goku] ChiChi, wait! You're not second! You've never been! I love you and the boys! But... this is who I am. Fighting is part of me... it's what I'm good at! I don't know how to be anyone else.

ChiChi's tears come faster now, but she hardens her resolve. Her next words come with finality.

[ChiChi] And that's exactly the problem. I need a partner, Goku... I need someone who's present, who chooses me every day, not just when the fighting is over. But you? You'll never stop. You'll always choose the next fight... over me... over Goten... over everything.