Chapter 8

July 21st
Monaia

The medical wing was surprisingly busy for a mid-week, and I was thankful for that. I needed the distraction from my racing thoughts that hadn't settled over the past two days.

Cassius was gone, and Raian hadn't heard a word from him after the bonfire. I didn't have the heart to share what he had so kindly unloaded onto me, though the weight of his words felt like a beast sitting on my chest and restricting my ability to breathe.

Carl had returned for one final assessment of his injury, but I was too lost in my own world to hear his question as I prodded at his chest and shoulder.

"What?" I mumbled, marking down on his chart that he had progressed as expected. There was no more pain, only a faint scar that would heal within another day or two.

Carl chuckled and dipped his head into his chest, his blond hair brushing over his forehead in a boyish motion.

"I asked if you've heard anything from your sister recently."

My hands froze, the clipboard falling from my fingers and clattering against the bleached tile floor. My older sister's effortlessly gorgeous face flashed in my mind, her welcoming smile and perfect presence making my longing for her presence grow.

"Naia?"

I blocked out the sound of Carl's voice, an existing dread that I had been fighting against for so long creeping up like a plague to my senses.

Seraphina was my family's pride and joy. She was the picture-perfect alpha female, having been in the title before me. Everyone in our village loved her, looked up to her, treasured her. Of course they did—she was the spitting image of my mother, had my father's ability to entertain a crowd, and had the love of every person to ever cross her path.

The two of us were so different in most ways, and it all made sense that her mate accepted her right away, the day that I—

"Monaia." A hesitant hand gripped my forearm, jogging me from my wandering thoughts. I forced a smile to my lips and collected the papers I dropped, pretending I. Hadn't just zoned out completely.

"Sorry. No, I haven't heard much." I managed to slip free from him hold and turn my back, hiding the emptiness in my eyes that was slowly eating away at my sanity.

It was almost a full moon, and I was running out of time.

"I...I should go get Mandy. I'm sorry, I suddenly don't feel very well." I dabbed at the sweat beading along my forehead with the back of my hand, my wolf scratching at the surface to take control days early.

Carl opened his mouth to stop me, but I had already slipped out and slung his door closed behind me.

I needed to get myself under control. My hands, now shaking, pried at my white jacket as my labored breaths warmed the chilled morning air within the building.

"Are you alright?" Mandy peered up from her desk, removing her glasses as he picked up on my wide eyes and erratic heartrate. "Here, come sit." She offered up her cushioned chair, throwing her thick auburn hair into a messy bun. "Take all the time you need."

The chair was comfortable, but it didn't do much to relieve the unease within me. My wolf was frantic to take control, and it would only be a matter of time before I had no choice but to give in.

My head fell back to rest against the cushioned back support, my eyes falling closed as I counted my heartbeats-one, two, three, four....

"What are you doing?"

The curious male voice startled me, eliciting an alarming response as I smacked my hands against the arm rests and sat up to a rigid posture. My ears continued to ring, and the lights overhead somehow became brighter and made me wince.