viii | burn the witch

viii 

b u r n   t h e   w i t c h

I'm rich. I come from a prestigious family, a really well-off background. The school bag I just lost a couple of days ago was Prada and the sneakers I threw somewhere on the way while running away from Alexander the first night. Yeah, those were designer too. I've lost count of the diamond jewelry sitting back at home and the Tiffany ring on my finger right now? Worth a million dollars, easily.

Because my parents are rich.

That means I've seen rich. I've lived in luxury, surrounded by the kind of wealth that most people dream about.

But the house standing in front of me in all its glory? It made everything I thought I knew about wealth look small, insignificant even.

This wasn't just luxury; this was power. The kind of wealth that wasn't flaunted with logos and brands but whispered in the walls, in the sheer size and presence of the place. It stretched endlessly with towering windows that glimmered like they had secrets hidden behind them and sprawling gardens that probably had their own zip code.

My parents' mansion had nothing on this.

I didn't even know what the hell I should gape at first, the wolves that just emerged from the woods, all magnificent, huge and terrifying or the terrifyingly beautiful mansion slash palace in front of me.

But the moment I noticed no one around me flinching, no one panicking at the sight of these beasts, I knew exactly what they were.

They were werewolves.

I took a step back as the realization dawned on me. Strangely I wasn't terrified, not in the way I expected to be. Instead confusion gripped me, tightening around my chest. It didn't make sense, none of it did. And that confusion, the not knowing, scared me more than the sight of those massive creatures.

I gulped.

One.

Two.

Thr-

"Stop waiting." Mikhail's voice cut through my spiraling thoughts, sharp and teasing as always.

I snapped my head in his direction but he was already grinning at me, completely unfazed by the hulking creatures standing only a few feet away.

"Stop waiting for reaction that will never come."

Of course, he knew.

"You won't be scared at sight of them Darcelle, you never  will be." Alexander sighed from my other side. "You were born to lead them. In fact we would be concerned if you were scared of them."

"Last time I remembered I still was a human, I don't think I could lead mutts." I think I heard a growl.

I hope they don't rip their Queen to sheds.

"Human with powers you mean?" Cain added.

When the hell did he came? 

"Yeah, that. Thanks."

"Who said You are human?" Alexander murmured.

I frowned, turning my gaze to him, suppressing an intense conflicting urge to either punch him or kiss him, possibly both.

"Then what am I, a raccoon?"

I had an idea what he would say and I did not want to hear it yet so-

"Please don't."