Chapter Seven: A Midnight Encounter

It had been an unusually lazy day for Y/N. She'd spent most of it lounging in bed, cycling through movies on her laptop. A rare quiet washed over the house, something she wasn't used to lately, with Scarlett constantly around, scolding her or waking her up with water. But tonight, her mother and Scarlett had been out for hours, attending some meeting about the upcoming film.

By 10 p.m., Y/N had practically memorized every corner of her bedroom ceiling. As she absentmindedly scrolled through her phone, the sound of a car pulling into the driveway caught her attention. She immediately sat up and swung her legs over the edge of the bed, slipping out of her room and padding quietly down the stairs. She stopped at the first step, lingering in the shadows as she waited for the front door to open.

The door creaked open, and in walked Elizabeth and Scarlett, their conversation low and hushed. Neither of them noticed Y/N standing there in the dim light, watching them.

Suddenly, Elizabeth caught sight of Y/N on the stairs and screamed, clutching her chest. Scarlett jumped back with a start, her eyes wide.

"Jesus, Y/N!" Elizabeth gasped, her voice laced with exasperation. "You nearly gave me a heart attack."

Scarlett placed a hand over her chest, trying to calm her breathing. "Yeah, no kidding. You always do this?"

Y/N doubled over with laughter, holding her stomach as she leaned against the banister. "Oh, come on. That was classic."

Elizabeth gave her daughter a playful glare. "You think you're funny, huh?"

Scarlett chimed in, shaking her head with a smirk. "You're lucky we didn't throw something at you."

Y/N grinned, finally catching her breath as she descended the rest of the stairs. "So, how'd the meeting go?"

Elizabeth smiled, slipping off her coat and hanging it by the door. "It went well. They're really excited about the movie."

Scarlett nodded in agreement. "Yeah, it's looking good. Should be fun."

Together, the three of them wandered into the kitchen, falling into easy conversation. Elizabeth and Scarlett recounted the details of their meeting while Y/N half-listened, sneaking glances at Scarlett every so often. Every time their eyes met, Y/N could feel her face heating up, her mind flashing back to the scenes from 'Don Jon'. She tried to avoid looking at her, but the images wouldn't stop playing in her head.

Scarlett, in that movie... kissing him. The way she moved, the way her lips parted—it had all been too much for Y/N to handle earlier, and now, sitting across from her in the kitchen, it was ten times worse. She kept her gaze focused on her plate, hoping Scarlett wouldn't notice her awkwardness.

Elizabeth yawned, stretching her arms above her head. "Well, I'm exhausted. I think I'm gonna head to bed."

Scarlett gave her a warm smile. "Goodnight, Liz. Rest up."

Y/N nodded, eager for an escape. "Yeah, I should probably head up too."

She started to push herself out of the chair, but before she could stand, she felt a sudden weight behind her, pressing her back against the kitchen counter. Her breath hitched as she froze, eyes wide. Slowly, she turned her head, only to find Scarlett standing right behind her, her body flush against Y/N's.

Scarlett's voice was low and teasing as she leaned in closer. "Why aren't you looking at me, Y/N?"

Y/N's face went beet red. She could feel the heat rising in her cheeks as she quickly averted her gaze, staring down at the floor. "I-I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh, really?" Scarlett raised an eyebrow, her hand brushing lightly against Y/N's arm. "You've been avoiding me all night. What's that about?"

Y/N swallowed hard, her heart pounding in her chest. She couldn't lie—not with Scarlett this close, not with her piercing green eyes locked onto her like that. "It's... nothing," Y/N mumbled, still refusing to meet Scarlett's gaze.

Scarlett wasn't having it. She reached out, gently cupping Y/N's jaw, tilting her head up until their eyes met. The proximity between them was intoxicating, and Y/N felt her breath catch in her throat.

"Come on," Scarlett whispered, her lips curving into a sly smile. "What's going on in that head of yours?"

Y/N's mind raced, and before she could stop herself, the words tumbled out. "I, uh... I watched Don Jon today."

Scarlett blinked in surprise, her grip on Y/N's jaw loosening slightly. "Don Jon, huh?"

Y/N nodded, her cheeks flushing even deeper. "Yeah, and, um... well... I've just been... thinking about it. About you in it."

Scarlett let out a soft chuckle, her eyes glinting with amusement. "Ah, I see." She leaned in a little closer, her breath warm against Y/N's skin. "So, that's why you've been acting all weird tonight?"

Y/N stammered, unable to form a coherent response. She desperately wanted to crawl into a hole and disappear, but Scarlett didn't let up. Instead, she let out a low, teasing laugh and stepped back slightly, giving Y/N some space.

"I didn't think you were the type to get all flustered over a movie, Y/N," Scarlett teased, her voice playful. "But I guess I should take it as a compliment."

Y/N rolled her eyes, trying to recover her composure. "Yeah, whatever. Don't let it go to your head."

Scarlett laughed again, shaking her head as she turned to leave the kitchen. "Don't worry, kid. I won't."

But just before she exited the room, Scarlett shot Y/N one last glance over her shoulder, her green eyes twinkling with mischief. "Goodnight, Y/N. Sweet dreams."

Y/N stared after her, still feeling the warmth of Scarlett's body against hers, still hearing the teasing lilt in her voice. She groaned internally, running a hand through her hair.

'Great', she thought. 'Now I'm never going to be able to look at her the same way again.'

Shaking her head, Y/N pushed herself off the counter and trudged back upstairs to her room, trying—and failing—to shake the memory of Scarlett's touch. As she collapsed onto her bed, she couldn't help but let out a soft, frustrated sigh.

It was going to be a 'long' few months.