Chapter Nine: Unwanted Encounters

Y/N had been avoiding Scarlett like the plague for days now. She made sure to wake up before Scarlett did and stayed out of sight until she was certain Scarlett was on the opposite side of the house. The only times they crossed paths were when Elizabeth asked Y/N something or during dinner, where she had to act right—both because her mom was present and because she feared Scarlett might spill the secret about her bruises. Y/N could feel Scarlett's eyes on her sometimes, but she refused to meet her gaze, keeping her head down.

Tonight was different. Y/N had been in another fight, and this time it was bad. Her lip was cracked again, and her arms were sore from the hits she had taken. By the time she finally got home, it was 11 PM, and she knew the door would be locked. It always was when she came home this late.

"Shit," Y/N groaned under her breath when the door refused to budge.

She glanced around the dark yard, her mind racing as she looked for another way in. After circling the house for a couple of minutes, she found an open window on the second floor. Y/N had no idea whose room it was, but it was her only option. 

With a heavy sigh, she started climbing up the side of the house, her muscles burning as she dragged herself upward. She didn't climb much, and it showed. When she finally reached the window, she hesitated for a second but then pushed herself through, landing with a soft thud on the floor.

Panting slightly, she tried to catch her breath, grateful for the darkness around her. But her relief was short-lived when she heard a soft humming sound. Y/N's head snapped up, fists raised instinctively, but her jaw dropped when she realized where she was—or more specifically, who she was with.

Scarlett.

In front of her.

In red underwear.

Y/N's brain practically short-circuited. Scarlett stood there with an unreadable expression, one eyebrow raised, clearly waiting for some kind of explanation. 

Y/N quickly clamped her hands over her eyes, muttering a string of curses under her breath. "Shit... I... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to—fuck—oh god, sorry, sorry..." She stumbled over her words, her face burning with embarrassment. She turned toward the door, hoping to make a quick escape, but Scarlett wasn't about to let her go that easily.

Scarlett grabbed her wrist firmly, stopping Y/N in her tracks. "Sit down," she ordered, her voice leaving no room for argument. "I'll go get dressed."

Y/N obeyed, plopping down on the bed, her eyes still tightly shut and her hands awkwardly resting on her crotch. Her mind raced, trying not to think about Scarlett in nothing but red lingerie. 'Just don't think about it. Don't think about it.'

Five minutes passed, but it felt like an eternity to Y/N. Finally, she heard Scarlett return, now dressed in pajamas, holding a first aid kit. Y/N breathed a sigh of relief—until Scarlett knelt down in front of her.

Scarlett began cleaning Y/N's cracked lip, her movements methodical, but all Y/N could focus on was how close they were. She squeezed her eyes shut even tighter, gripping the sheet beside her so hard her knuckles turned white. The sight of Scarlett in her underwear was still fresh in her mind, and now she was kneeling between her legs, inches away. It was too much.

Scarlett mumbled something under her breath but stopped when she noticed Y/N's clenched jaw and closed eyes. "You know," she said softly, "you can open your eyes."

Y/N shook her head, keeping her eyes shut. "I'm good."

"Y/N," Scarlett said more firmly, "look at me."

Reluctantly, Y/N opened her eyes but avoided Scarlett's face, staring at the wall, the ceiling, anywhere but at her.

"I said look at me," Scarlett scolded, and Y/N finally met her gaze, her face heating up again when she saw the pissed-off look on Scarlett's face.

"So," Scarlett said, her voice low and firm, "what happened this time?"

Y/N mumbled something unintelligible.

"What was that?"

Y/N cleared her throat. "I had another fight."

Scarlett's eyes narrowed, clearly not believing the half-assed answer. "Another fight? You expect me to believe that's it? And with who? College people? "

Y/N shrugged, refusing to say more. Scarlett sighed heavily, shaking her head. "I know you're lying, Y/N."

Y/N clenched her jaw but remained silent. What could she say? She couldn't tell Scarlett everything. She couldn't let anyone know.

After a long pause, Scarlett's expression softened just a little. "I won't say anything to your mom," she said quietly. "Not this time. But if it happens again, I'll have no choice."

Y/N swallowed hard but didn't respond. Scarlett stood up, brushing off her knees. "Come on," she said, "I'll walk you to your room."

Y/N muttered a sarcastic comment under her breath as she stood up. "Yeah, because I'm totally incapable of walking myself."

Scarlett shot her a warning look that instantly shut her up. The two walked in silence down the hall, the tension between them palpable. When they reached Y/N's door, Scarlett stopped her before she went inside.

"Oh, and Y/N?" Scarlett said, her voice dangerously sweet. "I'll be telling your mother about how you broke into my room through the window."

Y/N groaned, her face twisting into a grimace. "Seriously?"

Scarlett smirked, arms crossed. "It's your own fault. You could've just knocked."

Y/N grumbled, scowling as she opened the door to her room and slammed it shut behind her. She threw herself onto the bed, face down, groaning into the pillow.

"God, Scarlett," she muttered under her breath. "Why do you have to be so... so annoying, so bossy, so... fucking hot." She cursed under her breath, grabbing the pillow and hitting herself in the face with it in frustration.

The image of Scarlett in red underwear refused to leave her mind. She rolled over, staring at the ceiling, her face still burning. "Why is she so fucking beautiful?" she whispered to herself.

With another groan, Y/N shoved the pillow over her face, trying to smother the thoughts swirling in her head. It was going to be a long night.