Chapter Eightteen: The Unspoken Reality

The car door slammed shut as Scarlett got out without a word, leaving Y/N sitting alone in the driver's seat. The rush of adrenaline from what had just happened was fading, and a cold pit of realization began to settle in her stomach. She had just slept with Scarlett—her mother's friend, a woman over ten years older than her. Her fingers drummed against the steering wheel as she let out a shaky breath, trying to process the whirlwind of emotions crashing into her. 

Y/N ran her hand through her hair and groaned loudly, adjusting her pants and glancing around to make sure no one had seen them. She hurried out of the car, her heart still pounding, and walked briskly to the house. As she entered, she noticed that Scarlett's door was closed, though the light inside was still on. 

For a moment, Y/N paused, staring at the door, her mind buzzing with a million thoughts. She clenched her fists, but instead of knocking, she turned and headed for her room, frustration and confusion swirling in her chest. She went straight to the bathroom, feeling the weight of what had just transpired like a boulder on her shoulders.

In front of the mirror, Y/N undressed and stared at herself. Her fingers lightly grazed the fresh marks on her neck—the ones Scarlett had left. They stood out, darker and angrier than the ones the girl from the party had made earlier that night. Y/N winced, her reflection a harsh reminder of her impulsive decisions. She closed her eyes, Scarlett's image flashing in her mind, the feel of her touch still lingering on her skin.

Shaking her head, Y/N stepped into the cold shower, hoping the icy water would wash away the tension that gripped her. But it didn't. Every time she tried to push Scarlett out of her thoughts, she came rushing back with the same intensity, the same pull. Y/N groaned again, this time softer, letting the water pelt against her skin. 

When she finished, she dried off and threw on an oversized shirt, slipping into bed without even bothering to check her phone. She stared at the ceiling for what felt like hours, the events of the night playing on an endless loop in her mind. Her body was exhausted, but her mind wouldn't let her rest.

Now it was 9 a.m., and Y/N hadn't slept a wink. With a frustrated sigh, she pushed herself out of bed, deciding that food might help distract her. She padded out of her room and headed to the kitchen, still feeling disoriented. 

As soon as she entered, she spotted her mother, Elizabeth, sitting at the table with a coffee mug in hand, a cheerful smile on her face. Across from her, Scarlett sat quietly, her arms folded, her expression unreadable. The air in the room shifted immediately, the tension palpable. 

"Morning, sweetheart!" Elizabeth greeted Y/N brightly, completely oblivious to the storm brewing under the surface.

Scarlett, however, barely glanced at Y/N, her greeting barely a mumble. "Morning."

Y/N frowned slightly, catching the cold edge in Scarlett's voice. But she decided to ignore it—for now. She made her way over to the counter and started making herself some toast, her back turned to both women.

Elizabeth, noticing the marks on Y/N's neck, nearly choked on her coffee, her eyes widening. "Whoa!" she exclaimed, coughing slightly. "Looks like someone had a real good time last night."

Y/N's cheeks flushed immediately, and she tensed as she smeared butter on her toast, not daring to look up. "Mom..."

Elizabeth snickered, clearly amused by the situation. "Come on, Y/N. Whoever did that must've really wanted you." She winked teasingly.

Y/N felt her face grow hotter. "It's not like that," she muttered, trying to focus on her breakfast, but her mind was elsewhere.

Scarlett, who had been silent this whole time, remained rigid in her seat, her eyes fixed on the table. She didn't react to Elizabeth's joke, but Y/N could feel the weight of Scarlett's gaze on her, even if she wasn't looking directly. The coldness in the air between them was thick, and it was clear to Y/N that something was very wrong.

Elizabeth noticed the awkward tension but decided not to pry. She took another sip of her coffee, glancing between the two women with a slight frown, sensing something off. "Everything alright? You both seem... quiet today."

Scarlett pushed back her chair and stood up abruptly, brushing off Elizabeth's concern with a tight smile. "I've got work," she said shortly. "I'll see you both later."

Y/N watched as Scarlett walked out of the kitchen, her heart sinking. She knew Scarlett was avoiding her, acting cold and distant ever since last night. The change in her behavior was subtle but unmistakable, and it was eating at Y/N's nerves.

The rest of the day crawled by painfully. Scarlett kept her distance, barely acknowledging Y/N when they crossed paths, and Elizabeth was too busy to notice. Y/N felt like she was suffocating under the weight of it all. Every time she tried to catch Scarlett's eye, she was met with cold indifference. It was driving her mad.

By the time the evening rolled around, Y/N had had enough. She was tired of the silence, tired of the tension. When she heard Scarlett heading to the kitchen to grab something, Y/N followed her, her frustration bubbling over.

"Scarlett," Y/N called out, her voice sharp. She grabbed Scarlett's wrist before she could leave the room. "Can we talk?"

Scarlett's expression hardened as she pulled her hand away. "What is there to talk about?" she replied, her voice icy. "It's done. Let's just forget it."

Y/N stepped in front of her, blocking her path. "Forget it? You've been acting like a complete stranger all day, and you expect me to just forget it?"

Scarlett's eyes flashed with a mix of frustration and something else Y/N couldn't quite place. "What happened last night was a mistake," Scarlett said firmly, her voice colder than before. "It shouldn't have happened, and it won't happen again."

Y/N felt the words hit her like a punch to the gut. "A mistake?" she repeated, her throat tightening. "So that's it? You're just gonna pretend it didn't happen?"

Scarlett's gaze softened for a brief moment before hardening again. "Yes. It shouldn't have happened, Y/N. It was a mistake, and we can't let it happen again."

Y/N stared at Scarlett, her chest tightening with anger and hurt. She wanted to yell, to argue, to tell her that she wasn't just some mistake. But the cold resolve in Scarlett's eyes stopped her. The older woman was dead set on burying whatever had happened between them.

Y/N's jaw clenched, and she took a step back, her arms folding over her chest defensively. "Fine," she muttered, her voice low. "If that's how you feel."

Scarlett didn't say another word. She simply turned on her heel and walked out of the kitchen, leaving Y/N standing there alone, the weight of her words pressing down on her like a heavy stone. 

Y/N leaned against the counter, her heart pounding in her chest, her mind racing. She wanted to scream, to cry, to do anything to release the storm of emotions brewing inside her. But instead, she stood there, staring at the empty doorway, the silence in the room swallowing her whole.

The tension between them wasn't going away—it was only growing, and Y/N had no idea how to fix it.