Chapter Thirteen: Late Nights and New Realities

The sun was beginning to set, casting long shadows as Y/N sat perched up in her favorite tree, her legs dangling lazily from the thick branch as she looked out at the city below. Calie sat beside her, idly picking at the bark of the tree, as they talked about everything and nothing all at once. 

Y/N leaned back against the trunk, letting out a sigh. "Things have been better at home. I mean, my mom and I actually talk now, you know? It's not like it used to be. And Scarlett... we don't argue as much anymore, but she still finds ways to annoy me."

Calie raised an eyebrow, a playful grin tugging at the corners of her lips. "Annoy you how?"

"Like, she still pours water on me when I oversleep. Every. Damn. Morning," Y/N groaned, shaking her head.

At this, Calie burst into laughter, leaning forward as she clutched her stomach. "Oh my god, Y/N, that's hilarious! Sounds like she's got you under control."

Y/N rolled her eyes. "She's just relentless. But yeah, things are different now. It's weird... but not bad."

Calie gave her a mischievous smile, tilting her head. "Mmhmm. You sure nothing else is brewing between you and Scarlett? Sounds like there's something more there."

Y/N shot her a glare, her tone dry as she said, "Don't even go there. There's nothing like that. She's just... annoying. That's it."

Calie only chuckled, shaking her head. "Sure, Y/N, whatever you say."

They shifted topics then, talking about Y/N's illegal fights. Calie had been uneasy about it from the start, but she still listened as Y/N recounted her most recent match. "So... are you going to stop soon? Or is this your new hobby?"

Y/N shrugged. "I don't know. It's not like I need to fight, but it's kind of hard to walk away from it."

Before long, the sun had fully set, and the sky was turning a deep indigo. It was already 7 PM by the time they decided to head back home. Y/N parted ways with Calie outside their usual spot, making her way toward her house.

As she entered, Y/N kicked off her shoes and shrugged off her jacket, her stomach rumbling as the smell of food hit her. She wandered into the kitchen to find Scarlett standing at the stove, cooking dinner. 

"Wow," Y/N said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Didn't think you could cook. I guess miracles do happen."

Scarlett shot her a look over her shoulder, replying just as sarcastically. "Well, look who decided to grace me with her presence. Try not to pass out from amazement."

Y/N chuckled and plopped herself down at the counter, resting her chin in her hand. "Where's Mom, by the way?"

Scarlett glanced at her, then turned back to the stove. "Your mom's on a date."

That took Y/N by surprise. Her eyebrows shot up. "Wait, a date? With who?"

"Robbie. You met him before. Nice guy," Scarlett said casually, as if it were the most normal thing in the world.

Y/N frowned, suddenly feeling a little worried. "Robbie? I don't know... What if he's not good enough for her?"

Scarlett, noticing Y/N's concern, gave her a reassuring smile. "Trust me, Robbie's a good guy. Your mom's happy. You don't have to worry about her so much."

Y/N nodded, but her face was still etched with skepticism. She let out a soft sigh and laid her head on the counter, staring out the kitchen window as her mind swirled with thoughts. Her mother dating again? It was a lot to take in.

As the silence hung in the air, Scarlett suddenly started humming quietly to herself. Y/N's ears perked up, her heart skipping a beat as she listened to the melody. Scarlett's voice was low and soothing, and Y/N closed her eyes, letting herself get lost in the sound.

For a moment, everything else melted away, and she simply focused on Scarlett's voice. She could feel her heart racing, though she wasn't quite sure why. Just as quickly as it started, Scarlett stopped humming and turned to Y/N.

"Dinner's ready," Scarlett said softly.

Y/N blinked, pulled from her thoughts. She got up from her seat and moved to grab some plates from the cupboard, trying to shake off the strange feeling that had settled over her. She served the food while Scarlett leaned against the counter, watching her.

When Y/N made a disgusted face after taking a bite, Scarlett narrowed her eyes playfully and swatted the back of Y/N's head. "Don't even start. It's good, and you know it."

Y/N rolled her eyes, rubbing the back of her head. "Alright, ma'am, whatever you say," she teased, her voice full of mock politeness.

Scarlett laughed, shaking her head. "You're such a brat sometimes. Wanna eat in the living room and watch something?"

Y/N nodded, grateful for the offer. "Yeah, sounds good."

They moved to the living room, plates in hand, and Y/N grabbed the remote. They picked a random movie from Scarlett's recommendation, something lighthearted and easy to watch. The two settled in, the atmosphere surprisingly comfortable.

As they ate, they talked about everything—Scarlett's recent movie, Y/N's random thoughts about life, and even Elizabeth's new romance. Y/N couldn't help but feel a sense of ease in the air, despite their usual banter. She found herself laughing more than she expected, genuinely enjoying Scarlett's company.

At one point during the movie, Scarlett made a comment about the terrible acting on screen, causing Y/N to choke on her drink from laughing too hard. Scarlett smirked, handing her a napkin.

"Don't die on me now," Scarlett joked, shaking her head.

Y/N wiped her mouth and grinned. "No promises."

As the movie played on and the evening grew darker, Y/N found herself glancing over at Scarlett more than usual. There was something different between them now, something that felt almost... natural. The tension from the previous days had melted away, and though Y/N couldn't quite put her finger on it, she didn't mind the change.

Eventually, the credits rolled, and they both sat in comfortable silence for a moment. Y/N stretched, feeling content, while Scarlett leaned back against the couch, looking more relaxed than Y/N had ever seen her.

"Thanks for dinner," Y/N said, breaking the silence. 

Scarlett smiled, her eyes still on the screen. "Anytime, kid."

Y/N chuckled softly at the nickname, feeling a warmth in her chest. For the first time in a long time, the house didn't feel like a battleground. It just felt like home.