Chapter 3: Jaan.

Rue's POV:

A WEEK AGO I'd never have thought in my wildest dreams that'd I'd even as much as talk to Derek Smith and yet here I am today. Not just talking to him but pretending to be his 'girlfriend'.

I felt nervousness take over me as I sunk in Derek's car seat. I chewed on my lips in anxiety and fiddled with the book I was supposed to be reading.

Today was the day we sealed the deal. The day it all started.

This was harder than anything I'd ever done before.

Hiding behind thin framed glasses was easy. Being isolated with the company of knowledge on pages was easy. Being ignored was easy. 

This was something else. This was tough. Pretending to love someone was hard, specially when that someone was Derek Smith. The guy I've gathered immense disapproval for since so long.

The car came to a halt and Derek finished parking. I sunk further in my seat as the golden pendant weighed down on my chest. 

I looked different today. I did not have my normal tank top and sweatpants ensemble. I wore a ruched white top that was slightly cropped and I paired it with ripped baggy jeans taking it upon myself to accessorize.

Well, Anne did.

My hair was not tied in a low ponytail like usual, it was styled with loose curls. 

All this may not seem like anything out of the ordinary it was a lot of change for me.

I looked around at the school crowd that never fazed me before, suddenly intimidating me.

"Ready Rue?" Derek asked leaning on the steering wheel.

I nodded as I looked at his light brown eyes stare right at me.

He straightened up. "You must be quite nervous if you didn't notice the alliteration I just pulled."

"I'm a little surprised you know what that is" I said as a grin started forming on my face.

"I'm not as stupid as you think" He rolled his eyes.

"I don't know jaan, could have fooled me" I said tilting my head as I smiled cheekily.

"And what does that mean?" He scoffed.

"It means idiot." I lied to get his reaction.

He frowned. "Are you lying to my face?"

"Yea" I admitted as I laughed a little.

"What does it really mean?" He rolled his eyes.

"It means life. It's like calling someone your life." I looked at Derek to find him staring at me. It made me a little uneasy as I shifted in my place. "Couples use it all the time" I coughed.

"Am I your life?" He said in a low voice making me feel weird.

"No, but you might be the reason it ends." I mumbled. 

"Hmm?"

"No Derek. You're not. You're a hindrance in my life. Does that make you happy?" I grinned sarcastically.

"Peachy" He said returning the grin.

I rolled my eyes. "Let's go." I opened the car door finding myself feeling a lot better.

Derek walking towards me as he grabbed my hand and gave it a firm squeeze that I kind of needed but I reciprocated it while digging my nails in hand as he winced.

"Always the nice one aren't you Rue?" He nodded.

"Only for you jaan." I smiled as I looked at his face turn a little pink.