Chapter 24

I begin walking up my street avoiding the beer cans and pieces of glass and other unidentifiable pieces of garbage.

I keep walking until I reach the borderline of the two halves of town.

Chasen's comment continues to replay in my head as I nearly trip on the curb.

"You were dancing on the table when that guy, what's his name" he snapped his fingers before saying"Liam Hastings."

Liam Hastings.

I continue walking before I realize I forgot to bring my phone. But then again I don't even remember the last place I saw it.

As I round the corner of a neighbourhood full of identical houses made of brick and white shudders, my eye catches the a field.

The Kentwood Prep field.

People are on it too. My eyes dart from the soccer field to the football field then finally to the lacrosse field.

What I see makes my jaw drop and steam burst out of my ears like some sort of road racer cartoon. A rush or adrenaline surges through my body as I feel my heart pop.

People are running on it! What the hell?

Before my brain can process anything, my legs move at a neck breaking pace towards the field.

The wind whistles into my ears and my eyes hurt with dryness.

As I reach the sidelines where Coach Jones and Coach Wong are talking over a clipboard.

"What the heck is this?!" I scream

"Jane!" Coach Jones and Coach Wong say in unison with shock coating their faces.

"What the hell?" I hear an equally shocked voice from behind. "Jane?"

I whip around to see Matt with the same expressions as the Coaches.

"Is this some kind of joke?" I yell.

People around us start looking but I don't really care. let them look.

"Is this what you do to scholarship kids?" I yell at the coaches

"Ja-" coach Wong starts

"Save it." I shoot him a piercing glare "I trusted you."

I turn and my face ends up close and personal with another shocked face.

Matt's face.

"I always knew you were trying to get me off the team, you bastard." I say in a tone that he could only hear.

I push past him and the crowd behind him.

As I walk off the field I feel people not only from the lax field but also the other fields stare at me.

I wonder if Liam saw that or even Mason.

I keep walking and walking until I can't see the school anymore.

I turn my head back to that direction and stare for a moment.

I sit down on the curb and stare at the house across the way.

It's identical to the one behind me and the ones right and left and along the whole street.

I rest my chin on my hands and I study the house.

All these houses were like the people in this damn town. they are like photo copies of each other.

As I study the house's window frame, a roar of an engine breaks the silence I was so comfortable in.