CHAPTER - 8

Happy reading

_________

The atmosphere between them was tense and thick with unspoken resentment.

Every time their paths crossed in the house, there was friction. Veeranshu, though calm on the surface, was determined in his actions. He had taken her from her world, and despite her clear protests, he seemed unbothered by her resistance. His cold demeanor didn’t help, either. He treated her like she belonged to him, yet maintained a distance, as if waiting for her to yield.

Jhanvi, on the other hand, was defiant. She wasn’t going to let him control her life, even though she felt trapped by the situation. She ignored him, often pretending like he wasn’t there, finding small ways to irritate him, hoping he’d get fed up and let her go.

One evening, as she was trying to escape through the garden door, she found herself face to face with Veeranshu. He was leaning casually against the door frame, his arms crossed, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips.

“Going somewhere?” he asked, his voice calm but laced with challenge.

Jhanvi straightened up, glaring at him. “Let me go, Veeranshu. You can’t keep me here like a prisoner.”

He raised an eyebrow, stepping closer until they were barely a few inches apart. “Prisoner? You think of yourself as a prisoner?” His tone was smooth, but there was an underlying edge.

“What else am I supposed to think when you bring me here against my will?” she shot back, her anger simmering just below the surface.

Veeranshu’s smirk disappeared. His gaze darkened as he looked down at her, his expression serious. “You’re here because I want you here, Jhanvi. And whether you like it or not, you’re mine.”

Her breath caught in her throat, but she refused to show any sign of weakness. “I am not yours. You don’t own me.”

For a moment, there was silence between them, the tension crackling in the air. Veeranshu’s jaw clenched slightly, but then he let out a low chuckle. “You’ll come around. I know you will.”

Jhanvi’s eyes flashed with defiance. “Don’t hold your breath.”

She pushed past him, storming back into the house. But even as she walked away, she could feel his eyes on her, that strange mix of cold authority and something more... something deeper.

-----------------

In the days that followed, Jhanvi made it a point to irritate him in every way she could. She rearranged his things, took over his favorite chair in the living room, and deliberately ignored his presence during meals.

One morning, she found herself walking into the living room to find him reading a newspaper. Without a word, she plopped down in his usual seat, crossing her legs and picking up a magazine from the coffee table.

Veeranshu glanced up, arching an eyebrow at her. “Comfortable?”

“Very,” she replied, flipping through the pages without looking at him.

He leaned back in his chair, folding the newspaper slowly. “You know, this game you’re playing... It’s cute. But it won’t last.”

She met his gaze, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “Oh, I’m sorry. Was this *your* chair? I didn’t realize.”

He smirked. “You know exactly what you’re doing, Jhanvi.”