Chapter 5 - First Suspect

A week after the phone call, Rachel didn't leave the house. She hardly left her spot on the couch, curled up with a blanket and staring blankly into space, tears sometimes leaking down her cheeks.

Elijah was beginning to worry.

He had never imagined Rachel in such a state, let alone seen her in such a way.

"I'm going out," he whispered to her, making her jump. She was wearing a heavy black sweatshirt, but was shivering regardless. Rachel didn't utter a word, just gave a weak nod, her face streaked with salty trails.

Elijah stepped into the cool autumn air, feeling a rush of freshness wash over him. The atmosphere of their small condo had turned thick and gloomy since that fated phone call.

Elizabeth was Rachel's best friend. And now, she was gone. A huge void had split open Rachel's life, and even she wasn't a good enough actress to hide it.

As he drove through town with no obvious destination, Elijah drummed his fingers on the steering wheel of his Honda. Rachel had called the auto mechanic after he had left that night to get it fixed, so the engine was good as new.

Soon, he found himself stopped in front of a jewelry store, reminiscing. He remembered the time he bought Rachel a pair of amethyst earrings. They were simple, purple lobes hanging from a delicate silver wire.

She had been so happy, overjoyed even. They were so simple, so basic, but she had come from a low background, because her family had not made much money and her parents had died when she was still young, leaving her to care for her siblings at her own devices.

Elijah wandered inside, absent-mindedly sweeping his eyes across the display cases.

He paused, noticing he wasn't alone in the store. A girl, maybe eighteen, was looking intensely at a diamond necklace glinting in a glass case. The girl slowly traced her fingers along the edges of the case, brushing the pads of her finger tips over the top, reaching the place where the lock held the case--

"What are you doing?" Elijah blurted out.

The girl jumped back. "What are you doing, you creep?"

Elijah frowned. "That doesn't answer my question."

"No one said I had to."

"Fine." Elijah huffed, feeling annoyed. "Then what's your name?"

The girl eyed him suspiciously, fingering the scarlet bandanna around her neck. "Judith." She replied, drawing herself up. "Now if you'll excuse me."

Elijah turned away, surveying a ruby necklace--shivering at the sight of the gleaming red jewels. Too many bad memories for the two of them. He glanced at the ring display, in time to notice Judith trying on rings from a display.

The store manager ambled over to her. "Those look lovely on you, miss. Are you shopping for an engagement?" he asked, gesturing to the plaque next to the display, which read: Engagement rings! Try on for free, 50% off for two!

"No, sir, just browsing. Thank you though," Judith gave the sales clerk a tight-lipped smile. But as soon as the clerk walked away, Judith pulled the sleeve of her blood-red shirt over her fingers, which bore not one, but three rings.

Elijah almost passed out as she walked out the door.

She had just stolen more than eight hundred dollars in precious jewelry, and had even had the nerve to lie to the clerk's face so blatantly.

Who did she think she was, a dirty cheat of a thief?