Chapter 5: Name games

The King lay awake through the night, trying to remember every name he had ever heard.

When the little woman came the next evening, the King recited all the names he knew.

Is it Jasmin, Priyasha, Josa..." he began.

But to every one, the little woman shook her head and said. "That is not my name."

On the second day, the King rode far and wide, asking everyone their names.

That night, he recalled the strange new names. "Is your name Simbala, Sundari, Lalita?" he asked.

But to every one, the little woman shook her head and said, "That is not my name. You'll never guess!"

"By the third day, the King was in despair. He sat down for supper with the Queen, but could hardly eat a thing.

"I have a strange tale to tell you," said the Queen. "Two days ago I went hunting through a deep dark forest. In the middle of the forest was a little house."

"Outside the house the strangest little woman was jumping about. She hopped on one and sang..."

Today I bake tomorrow brew,

The next I'll do the same,

Ha! Glad I am that no one knew

That Rumpelina is my name.

The King smiled when he heard the Queen's story, but he didn't say a word.

When the little woman arrived at that night she said. "Well, Master King, do you know my name?"

At first the Queen said, "Is your name Sohalia?"

"No," said the little woman, jumping up and down in excitement.

"Is your name Zuleika?"

"No," said the little woman, leaping around the room.

"Perhaps," said the King, after a long pause, "perhaps, your name is ?

"?" cried the little woman.

With a roar, Rumpelina jumped on her spoon and shot through the wall.

She was never seen again.

—The End—