Chapter 16

The line went dead, and Wilbur found himself staring at the phone in shock as he tried to process what the hell just happened.

One minute, he'd been talking to Tommy about Studio Ghibli movies. Then, Dream was there, and the call hung up.

Immediately, Wilbur tried to redial, but Tommy's phone went straight to voicemail without even ringing. He tried again, and again, and by the fifth time he heard the automated voice message, he was ready to chuck his phone across the room.

Holy shit. Holy fucking shit, Dream had found Tommy. And Tommy had sounded so scared when he said Dream's name. Like he could tell Dream wasn't there with good intentions.

Wilbur wanted to believe that Dream didn't know. For the first time in his goddamn life, he wanted to give that bastard the benefit of the doubt and pray that he was still pretending like he was a good guy and wanted to offer to walk a teenager home.

But Wilbur wasn't an idiot. He knew Dream. Hell, Dream had tried to kill him dozens of times before. The only reason Dream would show up in Eastside at this time of night to confront Tommy would be if he knew about Tommy's work with the Syndicate.

Oh god. If Dream knew that Tommy worked with the Syndicate, he was probably going to want to interrogate Tommy for information on all of them. And if that was his plan, that meant he wasn't going to do it in the middle of the street.

He was going to kidnap Tommy. Oh fuck, he probably already had. While Wilbur was sitting on his ass trying to process what happened, Dream could be grabbing Tommy right now and dragging him to god knows where.

No. No no no. This was the worst case scenario. This was exactly what Wilbur had wanted to prevent this entire time.

He couldn't breathe. He had to get up. He had to go save Tommy before Dream kidnapped him goddammit! But his thoughts were racing and his heart was pounding in his ears, and he couldn't breathe because what if Dream hurt Tommy? What if he pulled out all the stops on the interrogation? That fucking monster would do it, Wilbur wouldn't put it past him.

Shit. He needed to get to the cafe right now.

"PHIL!" Wilbur screamed, slamming the door open to his room and practically jumping down the stairs. "PHIL! TECHNO!"

As soon as he got to the bottom of the stairs, Phil and Techno were rushing out of the kitchen, staring at him with wide eyes.

"What's wrong?!" Phil asked.

"I-It's Tommy. I was- I was on the phone with him- and he was leaving the cafe- and then he there was a voice- he said Dream's name and I think- holy fucking shit this is all my fault-"

"WILBUR!" Techno's shout startled Wilbur out of his panicked rambling, while his father stepped forward to grab his wrists to pull his hands away from his hair, which Wilbur hadn't even noticed he was yanking on.

"Tell us what happened. You said something about Tommy and Dream?" Phil questioned in a gentle voice.

Taking a shaky breath, Wilbur tried to explain again. "I-I was on the phone with Tommy while he was closing the cafe. Then I heard a voice say his name, and Tommy said it was Dream. Then before I could say anything the call went dead. And-And I tried calling him again, but the phone didn't even ring, it just went straight to voicemail."

As he explained, Techno and Phil both visibly paled.

"So you think Dream's kidnapped him?" Techno asked, clenching his jaw.

"I don't see why Dream would've been there otherwise," Wilbur said, wrapping his arms around himself. "He must've found out about Tommy working with us. It's the only thing I can think of."