Chapter 14: Out of control

It had been building up for weeks. The tension, the snarky comments, the subtle competition between Lando and Oscar. They had been at each other’s throats both on and off the track, the media picking up on their tense dynamic as they were constantly pitted against each other.

It wasn’t that they didn’t respect one another’s talent—they did. It was just… complicated. The rivalry on the track had started to bleed into their personal lives. Their once-friendly banter had turned cold, and it seemed like neither wanted to be the first to admit it was getting out of hand.

Lando sat in the media pen, finishing up an interview after a brutal practice session. His face was plastered with a forced smile as he answered the usual questions—how he was feeling, his thoughts on the car, the upcoming race. But in the back of his mind, all he could think about was Oscar.

Oscar, who had just gotten into the car for his final run of the session. The two hadn’t exchanged more than a few words all day, their silent standoff growing with each lap they clocked.

“So, Lando,” the interviewer continued, “there’s been a lot of talk about the tension between you and your teammate. Any comment on that?”

Lando’s smile tightened. “Tension? Nah, just healthy competition. We’re both pushing each other to be better. It’s part of racing, isn’t it?”

The interviewer nodded, clearly fishing for more, but Lando wasn’t about to give them anything. He was about to move on when, out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a shift in the atmosphere. The reporters around him were suddenly glancing at their screens, their faces tense.

Lando’s heart skipped a beat as he turned his attention to the monitors. The camera showed Oscar’s car, now skidding off the track at high speed. His car slammed into the barriers with a sickening crunch, the force of the impact sending debris flying.

Time slowed down. Lando felt his blood run cold as the sight of Oscar’s car crumpling against the wall filled the screen. His breath caught in his throat, and for a moment, everything around him became white noise. He barely heard the reporters gasp or the voices over the radio calling for a red flag. All he could focus on was the wreckage.

He stood up so fast his chair toppled over, startling the interviewer. “Lando—” they started, but Lando wasn’t listening anymore. He was already pushing through the crowd, making his way toward the garage, heart pounding in his chest.

He could hear his pulse in his ears as he raced past the pit wall, eyes fixed on the screens that still showed the aftermath of the crash. The medical team was already rushing to the scene, but it wasn’t fast enough. He needed to be there.

Because despite everything—the rivalry, the cold shoulder they’d been giving each other—Lando cared. He cared more than he’d ever let on, and now all of that seemed so stupid, so meaningless.

The tension between them, the competition—it all disappeared the moment he saw Oscar’s car hit the wall.

By the time Lando reached the garage, his breaths were coming in short gasps. The rest of the team was gathered around the monitors, watching anxiously as the medical crew finally reached the car.

“Is he okay?” Lando’s voice cracked, his eyes wide with fear as he grabbed the nearest engineer.

“We don’t know yet,” came the shaky reply. “They’re getting him out now.”

Lando’s stomach churned as he watched the paramedics pull Oscar from the wreckage. His body seemed limp, and for a terrifying moment, Lando thought the worst. But then he saw it—Oscar’s hand moving slightly as they strapped him onto the stretcher. He was alive.

Relief flooded through Lando, but it was quickly followed by a wave of guilt so strong it nearly knocked him over. How could he have let things get so bad between them? How could he have pretended he didn’t care when, deep down, he knew the truth?

Lando pushed past the team, making his way to the medical center as fast as he could. He needed to see Oscar, to know that he was okay, to apologize for everything.

By the time he reached the medical center, Oscar was already inside, being checked over by the doctors. Lando paced outside the room, running his hands through his hair, anxiety coursing through him. Every second felt like an eternity.

Finally, the door opened, and the doctor stepped out. “He’s going to be okay,” she said, offering Lando a reassuring smile. “Just some bruising and a mild concussion, but he’ll be fine.”

Lando exhaled, his entire body sagging with relief. “Can I see him?”

The doctor nodded, and Lando slipped into the room quietly. Oscar was lying on the bed, his eyes closed, a bandage wrapped around his head. He looked pale, but alive.

“Oscar,” Lando whispered, moving to his side.

Oscar’s eyes fluttered open, and when he saw Lando standing there, a small smirk tugged at the corner of his lips. “Came to see if I’m still alive?”

Lando let out a shaky laugh, though there was no humor in it. “Yeah, something like that.”

Oscar’s smirk faded, replaced by a more serious expression. “I’m fine, Lando. You don’t have to look so scared.”

Lando swallowed hard, his throat tight. “I thought… I thought I was going to lose you, mate.”

Oscar raised an eyebrow, his tone teasing but gentle. “Since when do you care so much?”

Lando sat down in the chair next to the bed, running a hand through his hair. “Since always. I just… I was an idiot. I didn’t want to admit how much you mean to me.”

Oscar blinked, taken aback by the confession. “What are you saying?”

“I’m saying I care,” Lando said, his voice raw with emotion. “I’ve been pushing you away because I didn’t want to deal with it, but seeing you crash… it scared the hell out of me.”

Oscar was silent for a moment, his eyes searching Lando’s face. Then, slowly, he reached out, his hand brushing against Lando’s. “I care about you too, you know. Even if we’ve been acting like idiots.”

Lando let out a breath he didn’t realize he was holding, his fingers curling around Oscar’s. “I’m sorry, Oscar. For everything.”

Oscar squeezed his hand, a small smile playing on his lips. “Me too. But we’re okay now, right?”

Lando nodded, his chest finally feeling lighter. “Yeah. We’re okay.”

And as they sat there, holding each other’s hands, the weight of the past few weeks melted away. The rivalry, the tension—it didn’t matter anymore. All that mattered was that Oscar was okay, and they had finally stopped pretending