Chapter 7: Deepening Shadows (Emma's POV)

As the days turned into weeks, my pregnancy felt like a rollercoaster—filled with dizzying highs and terrifying lows. I clung to Evelyn's support like a lifeline, grateful for her presence as I navigated this new and daunting reality. She was always there, offering help and comfort, but I began to feel a creeping discomfort as her involvement deepened.

Evelyn had started to take control in ways that were both generous and unsettling. She insisted on organizing my baby shower, pushing me aside as she crafted an elaborate plan that seemed to blossom overnight. I felt guilty for wanting to slow things down, especially when she was so excited. But the more she took charge, the more I felt my own voice fade into the background.

"Emma, you have to trust me on this. I know what you need," she said one afternoon as we sat together on the couch, going over her grand vision for the shower. "I want it to be perfect for you and the babies."

"Of course, Evelyn," I replied, trying to muster enthusiasm. "I appreciate all the effort you're putting into this. It's just... a lot."

Her smile faltered for a brief moment, and I caught a flicker of something in her eyes—desperation, perhaps? But just as quickly, it was replaced with an almost feverish intensity. "You're going to love it, Emma. Just let me handle everything."

I nodded, but inside, a voice whispered warnings that I couldn't quite shake off. I had long since surrendered to the notion that my mind was playing tricks on me, yet every encounter with Evelyn felt increasingly suffocating.

As the baby shower approached, Evelyn's obsession escalated. She started dropping by unannounced, bringing bags of decorations and party favors, her excitement palpable but overwhelming. I noticed how she would stand too close to me, her breath hitching slightly as she touched my belly, claiming it was a way of connecting with the babies.

"Can I feel them kick?" she would ask, her eyes wide with fervor. I nodded hesitantly, allowing her to rest her hand on my abdomen. "Oh, I can feel their energy! They're going to be so special," she'd say, her voice almost reverent, as though she could somehow forge a connection that transcended the physical.

Her attention, once comforting, became a source of anxiety. I started to dread her visits, but guilt twisted my stomach whenever I considered pushing her away. I couldn't ignore how much she seemed to care, how deeply she was invested in my journey.

One evening, as I prepared dinner, I heard a faint rustling outside the window. Glancing over, I saw Evelyn standing there, staring intently at my home. My heart raced as I pressed my forehead against the glass, my mind racing. It felt intrusive, watching me in such an intimate space. I waved, forcing a smile, and she beamed back, her eyes gleaming with a mix of joy and something darker.

"Just checking in on you, dear! I wanted to see how you were feeling," she called through the window, her voice sing-songy.

I nodded, a chill creeping down my spine. "I'm fine, Evelyn! Just making dinner!"

"Can I come in?" she asked, her eagerness evident.

"Sure!" I replied, swallowing hard as she stepped inside, her presence feeling both warm and suffocating at the same time.

While we cooked together, I tried to push my worries aside, but they clawed at me. Evelyn buzzed around the kitchen, her hands moving deftly as she chopped vegetables. "You know, I've been thinking about how we can decorate the nursery," she said, her eyes glinting with excitement. "I want it to reflect the love we're building for these babies."

"Uh-huh," I murmured, feeling the weight of her words settle heavily in the air. "That sounds nice, but I think we should keep it simple."

Her laughter echoed in the kitchen, bright and almost too loud. "Simple? No, no, Emma. These babies deserve the world! And I intend to give it to them."

As she continued to plan and scheme, I felt an overwhelming pressure to comply, to keep her happy. But my own desires felt like a distant memory, lost amidst the chaos of her enthusiasm.

That night, I lay in bed, the shadows creeping closer around me. The whispers returned, laced with doubt and fear. I had to confront the reality of Evelyn's obsession. Her kindness had morphed into something unsettling, and I felt trapped in a web of her making.

I rolled over, hoping sleep would come, but my thoughts swirled like a tempest. Was I being paranoid? Was it just my anxiety manifesting? The shadows seemed to thicken, wrapping around me like tendrils, whispering warnings that kept me awake.

With a deep breath, I tried to focus on the light within me, the babies growing and kicking gently beneath my skin. But the more I thought about Evelyn's relentless presence, the more I felt that darkness inching closer, threatening to engulf everything.

I needed to find a way to reclaim my voice, my space. But the question loomed large: how could I confront someone who was so invested in my journey, yet so dangerously entwined in my reality?

With those thoughts swirling, I finally succumbed to sleep, but even in dreams, the shadows were there, waiting, whispering secrets that twisted my mind into knots.