Chapter 20

The final week of summer had arrived, and the air in the Outer Banks was charged with a sense of anticipation. Sky could feel it in her bones, a bittersweet reminder that as the days grew shorter and the evenings cooler, her time with her friends would shift once more. To celebrate the end of summer, she had planned a special gathering at the beach-a sunset celebration meant to capture the essence of their friendships and all the wonderful moments they had shared over the season.

As the day unfolded, Sky felt a flurry of excitement in her chest. She spent the afternoon preparing, gathering colorful decorations, snacks, and a playlist filled with their favorite songs. The beach was her canvas, and she wanted to paint it with memories that would last a lifetime.

Barry joined her as they loaded up his truck with all the supplies. "You know, this might just be the best way to say goodbye to summer," he said, his voice filled with warmth. He leaned over the tailgate, glancing at the carefully arranged items. "You've really outdone yourself, sis."

Sky beamed at his compliment, her heart swelling with gratitude. "I just want everyone to have a great time. It's our last big hurrah before school starts!"

As they arrived at the beach, the golden sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm glow over the sand and surf. Sky's eyes sparkled as she stepped onto the warm, soft sand, already envisioning the scene that would soon unfold. The gentle sound of waves lapping at the shore provided a soothing soundtrack, and the salty breeze danced playfully through her hair.

With Barry's help, they set up a cozy area adorned with colorful blankets and pillows, creating a welcoming space for their friends. String lights were hung from nearby trees, twinkling like stars in the twilight, while a small fire pit awaited the perfect moment to spark to life.

As the sun began to dip closer to the horizon, Sky's friends started to arrive. JJ was the first to show up, carrying a boombox on his shoulder and dancing his way down the beach. "I come bearing tunes!" he declared, placing the boombox on the blanket and pressing play. The familiar chords of one of their favorite summer anthems filled the air, instantly lifting everyone's spirits.

Sarah and Kiara soon followed, arms filled with vibrant beach towels and bags full of snacks. "We brought treats!" Sarah shouted excitedly, setting down the assortment of goodies. Kiara immediately joined in, helping Sky arrange everything, their laughter blending seamlessly with the sound of the waves.

Rafe arrived next, bringing an air of relaxed confidence. He carried a small cooler, which he proudly opened to reveal an assortment of drinks, including sparkling water and fruity sodas. "Thought we could use some refreshments," he said, flashing Sky a charming smile. "It's a celebration, after all!"

As more friends trickled in, the beach began to come alive with chatter and laughter. Barry stood off to the side, watching his sister interact with her friends, a protective but proud smile on his face. He appreciated how effortlessly Sky brought everyone together, her energy radiating like the sun setting in the distance.

"Alright, everyone!" Sky clapped her hands, gaining their attention. "As you can see, we have snacks and music. And we'll be lighting the bonfire soon, but first, let's kick things off with a group photo!"

She gathered everyone together, the group squeezing in close, their smiles wide and infectious. Sky's heart raced with excitement as she positioned the camera, her friends joking and playfully nudging one another, creating a perfect snapshot of joy. After capturing several pictures, she reviewed them, grinning at the sight of their beaming faces.

The sun dipped lower, casting vibrant shades of orange, pink, and purple across the sky. It was the kind of sunset that took your breath away, an ever-changing masterpiece that reflected the spirit of their gathering.