Chapter 15

The day started slow, like so many others, with the sun stretching its fingers over the horizon, turning the ocean into a shimmering canvas of light and color. The smell of salt was thick in the air as Sky stood at the water's edge, her toes buried in the cool sand, the rising tide lapping at her feet. She had always felt most alive in these moments, when the world was quiet, the island not yet awake, and she had the ocean to herself.

The surfboard lay next to her, propped against a driftwood log bleached white by years of sun and sea. Sky closed her eyes for a moment, feeling the rhythm of the waves, letting it seep into her bones. There was something about the ocean that calmed her, a steadying presence in her otherwise unpredictable life.

Barry had dropped her off earlier that morning, his usual teasing tempered by a rare softness in his eyes as he'd reminded her to "take it easy" out there. He didn't surf, but he understood how much the water meant to her, how it was more than just a sport-how it was where she went to clear her mind, to feel whole again.

The beach was empty, save for the occasional gull swooping low over the water. Sky took a deep breath, lifting her board and heading toward the surf. The water was cool against her skin as she waded in, the small waves gently rolling over her ankles, then her knees, and finally up to her waist as she paddled out.

The ocean greeted her with the kind of peace she had been craving, the silence between waves wrapping around her like a familiar blanket. She floated on her board for a while, watching the horizon, waiting for the perfect swell. Time seemed to stretch out here, moments bleeding into one another as the sun climbed higher in the sky, its golden light dappling the surface of the water.

Eventually, she saw it-the wave she had been waiting for. It rose up behind her, a smooth, rolling wall of water that promised a perfect ride. Sky turned her board, paddling hard, feeling the pull of the wave as it lifted her, pulling her into its rhythm. In that instant, everything else faded away-the noise, the worry, the heaviness that sometimes clung to her. It was just her and the water, moving in perfect sync, the world reduced to the simple act of riding the wave.

Sky felt the rush of wind in her hair, the sun on her face, as she carved through the water, the board slicing smoothly over the surface. It was freedom in its purest form, a reminder of why she loved this place, why she always returned to the ocean when everything else felt uncertain.

When the wave finally broke, Sky let it carry her back toward the shore, her heart still racing from the exhilaration of the ride. She paddled back out again, over and over, until her arms ached and the sun was high in the sky, casting long shadows on the beach.

Eventually, she pulled herself out of the water, collapsing onto the sand with her board beside her. The adrenaline was wearing off, leaving her pleasantly tired, her muscles sore in the best way. She lay back, staring up at the blue sky, her chest rising and falling with deep, even breaths.

There was a sense of calm here, one that Sky only ever found after a long morning in the water. It wasn't just the physical exhaustion, though that was part of it. It was the feeling of having emptied herself, of leaving everything she had out in the waves, knowing she could always come back and do it again.

The distant hum of a car engine reached her ears, and she knew without looking that it was Barry. He had promised to pick her up after his shift, and, true to his word, he was right on time. She sat up as the old truck came to a stop at the edge of the dunes, Barry stepping out with a casual wave.

"Nice ride?" he asked, his voice carrying easily over the sound of the waves.

Sky smiled, wiping the salt from her brow as she stood and gathered her board. "You have no idea."

Barry chuckled, walking over to meet her. He grabbed the surfboard from her hands, propping it in the back of the truck with a practiced ease. "I can always tell when you've had a good one. You get that look."

"What look?" Sky asked, raising an eyebrow as she climbed into the passenger seat.

Barry shot her a sideways glance as he slid behind the wheel. "Like you've been hit by a bus and loved every second of it."

Sky laughed, shaking her head as the truck rumbled to life. "That's one way to put it."

They drove in companionable silence for a while, the windows down, letting the breeze wash over them. The island was starting to wake up now, with a few cars on the road and the occasional sound of voices carried on the wind from nearby houses.

Barry pulled up to a small café near the edge of town, one of their usual spots for a post-surf breakfast. The place was quiet, as it often was in the late morning, the locals having already cleared out, leaving only a few early tourists milling about.

Inside, they took their usual table by the window, the kind with chipped paint and uneven legs that wobbled every time you leaned too hard on it. Barry ordered for both of them-pancakes and eggs for Sky, bacon and toast for himself-while Sky stared out at the ocean in the distance.

As the food arrived, Barry leaned back in his chair, studying her with a casual ease. "You ever think about what comes next?"

Sky blinked, his question catching her off guard. "What do you mean?"

"I mean," Barry said, cutting into his toast, "life. The big picture. What's after all of this?"

Sky shrugged, not entirely sure how to answer. "I don't know. I guess I try not to think too far ahead."

Barry nodded, his eyes thoughtful. "That's fair. But, you know, you can't stay here forever. At some point, you're going to have to figure out what you want."

Sky frowned, poking at her pancakes with her fork. "I know. I just... I don't feel like I need to figure it out right now."

"I'm not saying you do," Barry replied. "But it doesn't hurt to start thinking about it. You've got a lot of potential, Sky. You could do anything you want."

Sky felt a warmth spread through her chest at his words, a quiet affirmation she hadn't realized she needed. "Thanks, Barry."

He gave her a small, crooked smile. "Don't mention it. Just something to keep in mind."

They finished their meal in comfortable silence, the clatter of dishes and the murmur of voices around them fading into the background. When they were done, Barry paid the bill, waving off Sky's protests with a teasing, "I've got it, little sis."

As they stepped back outside, the sun was high in the sky now, the heat pressing down on them as they made their way back to the truck. Barry leaned against the door, watching Sky with that same quiet, protective look he always wore when he was thinking about her future.

"I just want you to be happy, you know?" he said softly, his voice almost lost in the sound of the wind.

Sky smiled, reaching out to give him a quick, one-armed hug. "I know. And I am. Right now, I'm happy."

Barry's expression softened, and he nodded, pushing off the truck and opening the door for her. "That's all that matters, then."

As they drove away, the ocean disappeared behind them, but the feeling of the waves, the salt, and the sunlight stayed with Sky. It always did. No matter where life took her, she knew she would always carry a piece of this place, these moments, with her.

And for now, that was enough.