Chapter 6

Alby's PoV:   I was sleeping when I fell out of the hammock because of the fright.

   Tanja had told me about the screams of the grievers, but I never imagined them as terrifying as they actually were.

   They were sharp, scratchy and sometimes hoarse. They sounded desperate.

   I stood up and wanted to continue sleeping when I heard the sound she meant and the sound she said that was when they are moving. I was scared, I had to admit it.

   When I was in the box, I cried. What other thing could I do? I couldn't remember anything! Not even my own name... But everything changed when I arrived.

   I wasn't expecting anyone, but there she was.

   She jumped in with a small smile on her face.

   She showed joy and sadness at the same time, oblivious that she was happy because she didn't have to be alone anymore, I felt angry and started yelling the questions in my head instead of telling her nicely.

   I was surprised when she interrupted me. She was clearly a bit upset.

   I felt sorry, I had yelled at her with no reason. She sat in front of me and surprised me with the calm and kindness in her voice.

   —So, you don't remember anything, right? — she asked carefully, as if I would explode again.—I decided not to talk, because I didn't wanted to hurt her feelings again.

   I just nodded.

   —Shuck.— she said.

   I was confused, why didn't she just say fuck?

She had to realize my confusion because she explained it to me.

   «Why was it forbidden to curse?», I wanted to ask, but I remembered what she said before, it was her turn.

   She stood up and climbed out of what she called the Box. She offered me a hand. I took it, what else was I going to do?

   —First of all: welcome to the glade— she said.

   When I got out, my jaw almost fell to the ground. That place was amazing! It was giant, there were trees, walls, and a lot of other things! 

   She continued talking and showed me everything.

   Then was my turn. I asked her were everyone was, she said she was alone, for one entire month. I couldn't believe it. She had built a lot of things and I thought it was impossible, but something made me know she wasn't lying. The sadness in her voice was impossible to fake. She was amazing.  After a while, she asked me to help her unloading the Box and I agreed.

   She took a Box and opened her mouth to answer one of my questions, but instead she screamed.

   I jumped back of the fright. I looked at her. She was looking at her hand, there was a stick stuck.

   —Are you ok?— I asked calmly.

   — Yes, it's nothing I just forgot I had a stick stuck in my hand.— she said.

   She looked up at me and we both started laughing.

   She took out the stick and I was amazed when she didn't even wince. I have to tell I wasn't that surprised. After what she had told me, a stick stuck in your hand isn't that bad.

   I felt bad for her. But really, really bad. She looked like she was about twelve years old. She almost got killed and had to be alone for a whole month. No one should go through this, leave alone a twelve-year kid.

   I also was amazed, I would have never thought a twelve year old kid could build all that. We continued talking and we named her the leader. She told me, that, after the Change, she knew someone new was coming every month.

   The more we talked the more amazed I was.

   After dinner she told me we had an anthem.

   She had remembered a whole song before the Change. That gave me hope.

   I think that's why she made it the anthem, apart from that we don't have any other song, because it made you believe you maybe could remember other things.

   She started to sing and clapped and hit pots. At first I was thinking she had gone crazy, but her joy was contagious and I started singing with her.

   When we finished, we laughed and something came up in my mind.

   One word. Alby.

   My name! I had remembered it! I yelled my name, laughed and told her.

   She took a knife, which scared me for a moment and took me by my right wrist and lead me to a wall. Her name was written on the wall.

   —What is that? — I asked confused.

   —When I remembered my name, I was afraid of forgetting it, so I wrote it on the wall because I didn't have any paper.— she explained— I thought we could make a tradition out of this. After all, every country has its own traditions.— She said offering the knife to me.

   I nodded. I hadn't words. She was amazing.

   I didn't like her love like, I liked her like someone strong, someone to look up to...A leader. She was born for that role.

   I almost cut myself of the fright when the doors started closing. We laughed and went to sleep.

   With all this new (and only) memories in mind I could finally fall asleep.

-------------------

A/N: Hiiiii!!!! How are you all doing?

I know this is a short one, just wanted to show Alby's point of view!!

The next one will be longer, I think, hope you're liking the story!

Tell me what you think about this story!

Hope you have a good day!

Lots of love, emmy11922 :)